View Single Post
Old 10-18-2006, 11:18 PM   #89
Emperor Devon
36 Wings, 365 Eyes

Current Game: Ass Effect
Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TK-8252
Pearl Harbor was a result of the U.S. choosing to ally ourselves with Britain and the Allies, and cut off trade with Japan. Had we stayed neutral we might not have gotten attacked.
You are overlooking some aspects of the war.

Quote:
But why not? A number of professionals have voiced their opinion (as I have quoted previously in the thread) that they regretted the atomic bombings, because they DID think that Japan was on the path of surrendering.
I'm beating around the bush with this. They were not surrendering. Life in some parts of Japan was truly horrible for years, and they put up with it. They were sending planes on suicide missions, and at an increasing rate. Is that a sign of wanting to surrender?

Quote:
And if they didn't surrender, why right away bomb a bunch of civilians? Why not detonate the bomb over an unpopulated part of Japan, just to show the rest of the world that we have the bomb, but not slaughter innocents in the process...
That would have been as effective as Osama crashing an empty plane into a corn field in Nebraska. While at it, why just detonate the bomb in the U.S. and show the world a video?

Quote:
Why did we have to do anything? Was Japan prepared to come and invade the U.S. and take it over? If not, then we would be on an offensive campaign, not a defensive one.
So we shouldn't have brought the third most evil nation on Earth at that time to justice? All the atrocities Japan had committed which rivaled that of the Nazis? If you leave countries alone during war, they rebuild their militaries. Giving an opportunity like that would have been foolish in the extreme.

From what I've noticed in your posts, you seem to be overlooking how evil how Japan was during that time. They were the ones who invaded countries without provocation, tortured people, burned cities, were responsible for thousands of deaths in Asia, and other war crimes I can list if you want. Is there a reason you seem to be overlooking this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretooth
We will be great failures one day, you and I
Emperor Devon is offline   you may: quote & reply,