View Single Post
Old 10-19-2006, 09:41 PM   #77
Mace MacLeod
Food-based rocker

Current Game: World of Warcraft
Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinWalker
You could provide as much of a citation as possible. Others are able to access the journals and see the source of the claims. Most public libraries have access to a variety of journals and databases for journals. These are studies I'd like to see if you have the authors, titles, and journals. I'm aware of several recent studies that demonstrate the little to zero effect of prayer and will happily provide a source later... gotta run.
Okay, well, I was kind of wondering just how formal to make this here. Really, I know I've seen some studies and the most I was able to bring up was a couple of abstracts online and I wasn't sure if that would make much difference to the overall debate. I mean, are people really going to log in and read the articles...? It's late, I'm a teensy bit drunk, so maybe I'm being snippy here. I'll go around tomorrow and see if I can back up what I said with some studies but really I'm just too lazy atm. Besides, it's not as if anyone seems like they're teetering on the edge of changing their minds either way. But really, pretty much the entirity of the findings were summed up (tersely) in the second paragraph of the post you quoted, ShinWalker.

And while I'm on the subject, I'd like to address Nancy Allen``.

I'm going to assume that Adam is someone in your immediate family (brother? son? please tell me if I'm wrong). You and your family have made up your minds that Adam's situation was the result of prayer. Now, you might be right. I'll say that right off. I'm willing to grant that prayer might well have been the factor that improved his circumstances. You could certainly be right, and you are more than entitled to your beliefs. But please understand that the fact that you and your family prayed for this outcome does not constitute proof of prayer in action. Faith and belief simply do not equate to empirical proof, and there's just no way around that. You say that Adam is drawn to figures and characters that show religious beliefs--well, look at who he lives with. He's (again, correct me if I'm wrong) being raised by people who obviously have very strong religious convictions, and he's picking up on that. If the adults around him are willing to accept healing by prayer, then clearly they have some very deep and overt beliefs. Adam is absorbing/has absorbed the mores of the people in his environment. Kids do that.

Yet More:

No, they didn't find Noah's Ark. People have said they've seen bits and pieces and even the entire hull in Mt. Ararat. I know, I saw a Discovery Channel special on it. That was right before the documentary on people who have seen the Loch Ness Monster and Ogopogo.

Be considerate to others or I will bite your torso and give you a disease!
Mace MacLeod is offline   you may: quote & reply,