View Single Post
Old 10-27-2006, 01:08 PM   #9
stingerhs
Follow the Wolves

Current Game: Dead Space
Forum Veteran Roleplayer LFN Staff Member Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by GodSlayer
Yeah, but the problem with that is that there's not that many great shops in the UK, I like the one they have on that site I linked to, I think it would do for me, I don't want an ultra top notch gaming machine, I just want a decent system with a good processor, a fair amount of memory and a decent GPU that will allow me to play older games with everything maxed and newer games with most settings on medium or high and no lag, and one that will allow me to use the internet, WMP and other programs at the same time without slowing down to a grinding halt...
actually, what i meant by shopping around was to look for deals on the internet. it's the way i shop for computer parts since most retailers sell identical parts for more money. the downside is paying the shipping bill, but even that usually isn't enough to offset the money you'll save.

Quote:
So for all of that, will that system do in your opinion? Would 1.5Gb of RAM be enough?
in most cases, yes it will be enough. however, with the Vista launch ahead of us, 1.5GB of RAM might be a rough equivalent to 512 MB with Windows XP. although M$ has announce that Vista will need a minimum of 512 MB for Vista, nobody know the optimum amount of memory a system needs to run well.

so again, it should suffice for the time being, but just keep in mind that you might want to upgrade on down the road.
Quote:
Would it be worth to switch from the standard AMD Athlon 64 4200+ X2 Dual Core Processor with 2000MHz HyperTransport Technology to the optional AMD Athlon 64 4800+ X2 Dual Core Processor with 2000MHz HyperTransport Technology for about an extra $100?
that depends on if you're using a Socket 939 compatible motherboard or a newer AM2 compatible motherboard. if you use the 939, i'd say no since you can get the Athlon 4400 X2 for a cheaper price and similar performance. if you use the AM2, then yes, it is a good deal.
Quote:
And will that Radeon X1300Pro Hypermemory do or should I invest in the X1600Pro?
to answer your question directly, i would go for the X1600. the performance level difference between the two is massive. however, i would recommend that you wait for the DX10 comaptible cards before you make your decision. i only say that because the performance differential between a DX9 card and a DX10 card on Vista is going to be huge.

if you're not planning on waiting for the DX10 cards, though, i would recommend that you shoot for something that runs a bit faster than the X1600, though. my recommendation for you would be the Radeon X1900 GT. it can be had for under $200, and it has great bang for the buck.
Quote:
If the system has 2x 512MB (1GB) DDR2 533 (PC4200) Branded Memory already in it, would it do more harm than good to add my own 512MB DDR-SDRAM PC3200 (200 MHz) - (DDR-400)?
for the direct answer: i would strongly recommend that you don't do that. DDR2 memory, while not incompatible with older DDR memory, is going to run at the same speed as the DDR memory which means that the DDR2 memory is nothing more than a wasted expense.

i would also like to once again point out something: if you use a Socket 939 motherboard, you will not be able to use DDR2 memory since it isn't supported. you'll need to use a Socket AM2 motherboard since it's the only AMD compatible motherboard that supports DDR2. however, if you make the switch to an Intel Core2 processor, you won't have to worry about that.
Quote:
Just a general question:
What on earth is the L2 cache and does the size of it matter?

Thanks for all your help so far...
L2 Cache explained.

See the struggle of the faithless lot as they negate their time
How low to sink to the depths of their frame of mind

stingerhs is offline   you may: quote & reply,