Old 10-27-2006, 12:16 PM   #10
stoffe
Network Caretaker

Helpful! 10 year veteran! Notable contributor 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qliveur
Heh, I doubt you'll have a problem.
I wouldn't be so sure about that.

It seems that depends largely on resolution and graphics settings. I have a Radeon X1900XT (which admittedly isn't quite as powerful as the XTX), and when I tested playing Farcry (a 2 year old game) in 1280x1024 with most graphics settings at either High or Very High I get around 24-26 fps in normal play and between 8-14 FPS when zooming in with the binoculars or scope of a weapon in outdoor areas.

I even get FPS drops on occasion when playing Halo (in 1280x1024 with all settings maxed) when the action heats up, and that's a 3 years old game.

So far my experience is that no matter what graphics card you have there is still some game that will make it crawl if you pump the settings up high enough.

I haven't been able to play Deus Ex, a game released in 2000, without any hickups or slowdowns with all settings maxed until I got this computer a couple of months ago (and that can't even be played with any higher resolution than 1024x768 )

The native resolution thing on TFT monitors are quite annoying when you want to play games, in particular older games which may not support the native resolution, or newer games that crawl when having a high native resolution.
stoffe is offline   you may: quote & reply,