View Single Post
Old 11-14-2006, 07:03 AM   #37
No Body
Rookie

Dark Forces was actually the first full FPS game that I played.

I got an Intel system pretty late, probably around 2000 or so, so I missed out on all the "classics". When I got my system, my friend put a bunch of demos on it, Half-Life Day 1, Jedi Knight, Heavy Gear II, etc. Before that, I'd played Doom for all of about 2 minutes and DF for maybe 5 minutes at a friend's house. (not because I didn't like them, but because I didn't want to be rude and hog his computer)

I loved the demo for Jedi Knight and immediately bought a copy off eBay, MOTS included, but I didn't want to play it until I'd played DF first. I finally got a copy, installed it on my W98 system and played through the whole game. I would have preferred true mouse control, like more modern games, but I ended up using a joystick in place of the mouse. I was never once bored or felt like I was wasting my time. After finishing it, I moved on to the later Jedi games, which I also enjoyed.

A couple years ago, I decided to play Doom/Doom 2. First I tried playing the originals, but they just seemed too primitive, plus they kept crashing on me. I then downloaded a copy of JDoom and used that to play through the games with full mouse control. Before I was even halfway though the first game, I started to get bored. All the levels started to look the same after a while. I eventually finished both games, but it started to become more of a chore than a game.

Recently I played through Heretic using JHeretic and I started to get the same feeling about halfway through. The novelty of the various creatures wears off and then it's just trudging through similar levels killing dozens of identical creatures.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that even with modern ports and full mouse control, Doom still gets boring, while DF holds my interest from start to finish.
No Body is offline   you may: quote & reply,