View Single Post
Old 12-02-2006, 09:28 PM   #5
SamR
Rookie

EXT. KASHYYYK - LAKE ON VILLAGE EDGE - DUSK

CLONES, in modified one-man AT-ST's and swamp speeders, flash their searchlights across the gloomy lake. One of the lights spots something floating in the water. It is what's left of a Wookiee catamaran. The body of a dead Wookiee (Tarfful) is lying across the stern of the wreckage of the flying boat. There is some movement on the boat. The CLONE SERGEANT on the AT-ST FIRES a warning SHOT past the boat.

CLONE SERGEANT
Everyone out of there!

A CRAZY LITTLE CREATURE about two feet high pops its head over the rail. The creature is covered with mud. His long hair is frizzed out in all directions.

CREATURE
Wookiee good . . . eat Wookiee.

The creature lets out a crazy little laugh.

CLONE SERGEANT
Did you find something?

CREATURE
It's nothing, nothing.

He laughs again.

CLONE SERGEANT
It's nothing, nothing. All these Wookiees are dead. Move to the east.

CLONE TROOPER
Yes, sir.

The other Clones move off. Suddenly, Chewbacca climbs up behind the AT-ST, dripping wet, and throws the Clone Sergeant into the water. Chewie BARKS.

CREATURE
Right you are, Chewbacca. Faster that will be.

Tarfful springs to life and jumps up in the boat, and the creature takes off his hair. It is Yoda.

YODA
Stink, this mud does. A moment to bathe, give me.

Yoda, still covered with mud, jumps into the water. Tarfful climbs onto the AT-ST with Chewbacca.

A MOMENT LATER

Yoda is out of the water and putting his robes back on.

YODA
Not far, are we, from the emergency ship. Quickly . . .

Yoda whistles, and a large ALIEN FLYING INSECT appears. Yoda jumps on the insect's back and they take off. The Wookiees follow on the AT-ST.

EXT. KASHYYYK - HILLS OVERLOOKING LAKE - DUSK

The AT-ST marches up the hill and stops. The Wookiees jump down. Riding the giant insect, Yoda lands nearby. Chewbacca goes to a tree and pulls down one of its branches. The ground opens up, and a small escape pod rises into the field. Yoda opens the pod door.

YODA
Good-bye. Chewbacca and Tarfful, miss you, I will. Good friends, you are. For your help, much gratitude and respect, I have.

The Wookiees BARK, as the Jedi climbs into the pod and TAKES OFF into the dusk sky.

EXT. CORUSCANT – SENATE OFFICE BUILDING - UNDERGROUND LANDING PLATFORM – PRE-DAWN

The platform rises to the surface carrying a large Alderaan Starcruiser. The Starcruiser takes off and disappears into the crisp early morning sky.

INT. ALDERAAN STARCRUISER – HALLWAY

Bail is greeted by CAPTAIN ANTILLES and TWO ALDERAAN TROOPERS.

BAIL
Were you able to get hold of a Jedi homing beacon?

CAPTAIN ANTILLES
Yes, Your Highness. We've encountered no opposition. The Clones are still a bit confused. It appears no one is in command.

BAIL
That will change soon. Hopefully, we will be able to intercept a few Jedi before they walk into this catastrophe.

EXT. UTAPAU - SINKHOLE WALL - LATE DAY

Hiding, Obi-Wan watches a group of CLONE TROOPERS pass then sneaks back toward the secret platform, down a flight of stairs.

EXT. SECRET LANDING PLATFORM - LATE DAY

Obi-Wan makes his way out of the cave and onto General Grievous' secret landing platform. He runs to the Starfighter and climbs into the one-man ship. The Starfighter takes off and disappears into the sky.

EXT. UTAPAU - SPACE

The tiny Starfighter flies away from the planet Utapau.

INT. GENERAL GRIEVOUS' STARFIGHTER - SPACE

Obi-Wan activates the controls on the Starfighter. He punches in several coordinates and codes. A BEEPING SOUND is heard. It quickly speeds up until it is a STEADY TONE. Obi-Wan speaks into his comlink.

OBI-WAN
Emergency Code Nine Thirteen . . . I have no contact on any frequency. Are there any Jedi out there? . . . anywhere . . .

A BURST OF STATIC, and a fuzzy hologram image appears.

BAIL (holo)
Kenobi . . .

OBI-WAN
I've locked on. Repeat.

The image comes into focus, and it is Bail Organa.

BAIL (holo)
Master Kenobi??

OBI-WAN
Senator Organa! My Clone Troops turned on me . . . I need help.

BAIL (holo)
We’ve just rescued Master Yoda. It appears this ambush has happened everywhere. We're sending you our coordinates.

EXT. PADME'S APARTMENT – VERANDA - PRE-DAWN

Padmé rushes onto the veranda, as Anakin exits his green Jedi fighter, leaving R2-D2 in the service cockpit. They embrace.

PADMÉ
Anakin, are you all right?
(before he can answer)
I heard there was an attack on the Jedi Temple. You can see the smoke from here.

ANAKIN
I'm fine. I'm fine. I came to see if you and the baby are safe. With Captain Typho away-

PADMÉ
(interrupting)
We're all right. We’re safe. Were you there at the Temple? That’s what Threepio told me.

ANAKIN
Yes, I was overseeing the raid for the Chancellor.

PADMÉ
(backs away)
You would fight against the Jedi?

ANAKIN
The situation is not good. The Jedi have tried to overthrow the Republic. They have betrayed us. I was forced to take a side.

PADMÉ
I don’t believe it. Something’s very wrong here.
(uses her fingers to illustrate)
We were this close to bringing the Republic back to the democratic principles it stood for! Then this happens! I can’t believe it’s a coincidence!

ANAKIN
I couldn’t believe it either, but I saw Master Windu attempt to assassinate the Chancellor myself.

Padmé turns away.

ANAKIN (cont’d)
I will not betray the Republic. My loyalties lie with the Chancellor and with the Senate . . . and with you.

PADMÉ
What about Obi-Wan?

ANAKIN
I don't know . . . Many Jedi have been killed. We can only hope that he's remained loyal.

Padmé thinks a moment.

PADMÉ
You said you saw Master Windu attempt to assassinate the Chancellor.

She turns to Anakin.

PADMÉ (cont’d)
Mace Windu doesn’t attempt to kill someone. Save for the few who can match him in battle, when he means to kill, he kills. How is it that the Chancellor is alive then?

ANAKIN
I saved him . . .

Padmé stares at him.

ANAKIN (cont’d)
And, now, I have to save you. There are traitors in the Senate.

PADMÉ
(incredulous)
What?

ANAKIN
You need to begin distancing yourself from your friends.

PADMÉ
If, by that, you mean the group that launched the petition, then you have a strange idea of what a traitor is.

ANAKIN
The Chancellor believes many of them conspired with the Jedi, and that you may have too.

Padmé reacts with a troubled thought.

ANAKIN (cont’d)
Say that you didn’t know what they were really up to. The Chancellor says they are going to be dealt with, when this conflict is over. He’s already forming an inquiry.

PADMÉ
You mean an inquisition.

ANAKIN
He’s compiled a list . . . added many names. Yours isn’t on it . . . yet. Pray he does not add to it further.

PADMÉ
And if he does . . . what will you do?

Anakin approaches Padmé and places his hands on her shoulders.

ANAKIN
If you stay quiet, and do nothing, I can use my influence with him to protect you. And, soon, I will have more. The Chancellor has given me a very important mission. The Separatists have gathered in the Mustafar system. I’m going there to end this war. Wait for me, until I return. Things will be different. I promise.

They kiss. Anakin turns to leave.

PADMÉ
Ani . . . Since there are going to be inquiries, I have one of my own. The Younglings in the Temple . . . There hasn’t been any word of them. Are they safe?

Anakin doesn’t look at her.

PADMÉ (cont’d)
(realizing)
They’re not safe. Are they dead? Did Clone Soldiers kill them? Anakin . . . please, tell me.

ANAKIN
I can’t.

PADMÉ
You can’t? . . . Or you won’t?

ANAKIN
I know what you’d try to do with it. I won’t betray the Republic.

PADMÉ
(hurt)
Anakin, this isn’t about the Republic. Not here. Not now. This is just you and me.

ANAKIN
It’s just you and me now. But tomorrow, what will it be? Believe me, when I say that you’ll be putting yourself in even more danger.

PADMÉ
You’re closer than ever to the Chancellor, now. I know that. You don’t want to say anything to hurt him. But look at what it’s doing to you. Look at what it’s doing to us. You witnessed something terrible, and, along with everything else that’s been happening, it’s consuming you.
(embraces him)
Don’t tell me for what I might do. Tell me for the sake of your own mind . . . for our marriage . . . for our children.

ANAKIN
(breaks away)
No! Our marriage . . . our child . . . children if you’re thinking of having more . . . depend on me winning this war, so the new powers I’m discovering will be complete, and I’ll be able to save your life!

PADMÉ
From what? Your dream again? I asked you to stop that. I’ve had myself checked. Nothing’s going to happen to me . . . due to childbirth. And I’m going to have-

ANAKIN
(interrupting)
A Jedi’s dreams do not lie!

PADMÉ
But, Anakin, you aren’t a Jedi anymore. Were you ever one?

Struck beyond words, Anakin storms away, gets in his Jedi fighter, and TAKES OFF. Padmé starts to cry.

EXT. ALDERAAN STARCRUISER - SPACE

Obi-Wan's ship docks with Bail Organa's Starcruiser.

INT. ALDERAAN STARCRUISER – HALLWAY

The door to the main hallway slides open. Obi-Wan enters and is greeted by Yoda and Bail. The three walk down the hallway.

BAIL
You made it.

YODA
Master Kenobi, dark times are these. Good to see you, it is.

OBI-WAN
You were attacked by your Clones, also?

YODA
With the help of the Wookiees, barely escape, I did.

OBI-WAN
How many other Jedi managed to survive?

YODA
Heard from no one, have we.

BAIL
I saw thousands of troops attack the Jedi Temple. That's why I went looking for Yoda.

OBI-WAN
Have we had any contact from the Temple?

YODA
Received a coded retreat message, we have.

BAIL
It requests all Jedi to return to the Temple. It says that the war is over.

OBI-WAN
Well, then we must go back! If there are other stragglers, they will fall into the trap and be killed.

BAIL
It's too dangerous to return.

YODA
Suggest dismantling the coded signal, do you?

OBI-WAN
Yes, Master. There is too much at stake here, and we need a clearer picture of what has happened.

YODA
I agree. In a dark place, we find ourselves. The Chancellor’s claim of an attempt on his life, if true, disturbing that is . . . a little more knowledge might light our way.

EXT. MUSTAFAR - LAVA FIELDS - DAY

WORKER DROIDS, so insulated that they hardly look like Droids at all, but, instead, roving mounds, move across the lava beds, gathering the magma. A column of ALIENS riding giant MUSTAFAR FLEAS marches forward.

INT. MUSTAFAR - MAIN CONTROL CENTER - DAY

A hologram of Darth Sidious is in the center of the room. Nute Gunray and the Rest of the Separatist Coalition watch Sidious.

DARTH SIDIOUS
You have done well, Viceroy. When my new apprentice, Darth Vader, arrives, he will take care of you.

The hologram disappears.

INT. ALDERAAN STARCRUISER – BRIDGE

Bail, Obi-Wan and Yoda enter the bridge. The Captain turns to them from beside the front window, through which the planet Coruscant appears in the distance.

CAPTAIN ANTILLES
We received a message from the Chancellor’s office, requesting that all Senators attend a special session.

BAIL
It could be a trap.

OBI-WAN
I don't think so. The Chancellor will not be able to control the thousands of star systems without keeping the Senate intact.

YODA
If a special session there is, easier for us to enter the Jedi Temple it will be.

EXT. CORUSCANT - JEDI TEMPLE - LATE DAY

Smoke from the smoldering shell of the Jedi Temple fills the air with a brown haze.

INT. JEDI TEMPLE - MAIN ENTRANCE - LATE DAY

A DOZEN CLONE TROOPERS stand guard at the entrance of the Jedi Temple. Suddenly, there is a flash of a light saber, a flurry of confusion, and all of the Clone Troopers are dead on the floor. Yoda and Obi-Wan stand in the middle of the carnage.

OBI-WAN
There are battalions of Clone Troopers on every level. Many are dressed as Jedi.

YODA
Dismantle the coded signal quickly. This group, soon discovered will be.

EXT. CORUSCANT - SENATE OFFICE BUILDING AND ARENA – LATE AFTERNOON

The Senate Arena looms over the city, from its vantage point atop the awesome Senate Office Building. The endless traffic continues to clutter the skyline.

INT. SENATE CHAMBER – LATE AFTERNOON

The Chancellor is in the podium in the center of the vast arena giving a speech. Mas Amedda stands to the right of him, holding a giant staff.

PALPATINE
The attempt on my life has left me scarred . . . deformed . . . but I assure you my resolve has never been stronger.

Senators APPLAUD.

From the hallway, Bail enters the Senate Pod of Naboo and sits next to Padmé. Her two aides are seated behind her.

BAIL
I was held up. What’s happening?

PADMÉ
The Chancellor’s claiming that the Jedi plotted to overthrow, not only him, but the Senate.

BAIL
That isn’t true.

PADMÉ
I know. But the evidence he’s been presenting all afternoon looks convincing . . . except for what happened to his face. Light sabers don’t do that kind of damage.

Bail thinks a moment.

PALPATINE (O.S.)
These have been trying times, but we have passed the test.

BAIL
He isn’t the only one with evidence.

Bail begins whispering in Padmé’s ear, like you see people conferring at congressional hearings. We don’t hear what he’s saying. We don’t need to, as Padmé’s expression grows increasingly disturbed.

Palpatine’s speech continues, interrupted frequently with APPLAUSE.

PALPATINE
The war is over . . . The separatists have been defeated . . . and the Jedi coup has been foiled. We stand at the threshold of a new beginning.

Padmé’s head is down. She is in tears.

PALPATINE (O.S.) (cont’d)
In order to ensure our security and continuing stability, the Republic will be reorganized into the first Galactic Empire . . .

On the word “Empire,” Padmé raises her head partway. Bail is also stunned by the word.

PALPATINE (O.S.) (cont’d)
For a safe and secure society, which, I assure you, will last for ten thousand years.

There is a loud, sustained CHEER o.s. Padmé raises her head the rest of the way and looks at Palpatine. She no longer sees just a politician with too much power. She is staring into the face of evil.

Palpatine continues speaking.

PALPATINE (cont’d)
An empire that will continue to be ruled by this august body, and a sovereign ruler chosen for life . . . An empire ruled by the majority . . . ruled by a new Constitution that will bring peace and opportunity to all its loyal citizens.

The chamber erupts in the loudest APPLAUSE yet. Palpatine raises his hands and takes it in.
Bail watches Padmé with concern, as she lowers her gaze.

PADMÉ
I can’t let this happen.
(turns to Bail)
I won’t let this happen.

She leaps to her feet.

BAIL
Wait!

He tries to grab her, but is too slow.

PADMÉ
SO THIS IS HOW LIBERTY DIES, TO THUNDEROUS APPLAUSE!

The APPLAUSE dies down, being replaced by stunned silence.

PADMÉ (cont’d)
(quietly to her aides)
Go, now. Quickly!

The aides stand but do not leave.

MOTEÉ
We’ll stay with you, My Lady.

Padmé looks at Bail. He stands but does not leave.

PALPATINE (O.S.)
What is this interruption?

Padmé glances up and activates the console on her pod. It LAUNCHES, carrying her and the others upward.

PALPATINE (cont’d)
The Senator has not been recognized. I have not finished my speech.

Padmé’s pod continues toward the speaking area.

PADMÉ
The Chancellor has spoken enough to make his plans perfectly clear!

The pod comes to rest opposite Palpatine’s platform.

PALPATINE
You are out of order.

PADMÉ
So is your speech. So is this proceeding . . .

She turns to distant points in the chamber.

PADMÉ (cont’d)
This creation of an empire by acclamation! This abandoning the very last of a thousand years of democracy! From its core principles . . . from where it stood just yesterday . . . this Senate is in full, headlong retreat!
(glances down at herself briefly)
There’s no sense my trying to hide this anymore. I’m pregnant, as many of you can see. And I wouldn’t want my children to have to live under a dictatorship . . .
(indicates Palpatine)
Especially one that does what its leader has secretly been doing!

She begins pacing within the confines of her pod, establishing different lines of sight.

PADMÉ (cont’d)
I have survivors’ accounts . . . that, with no evidence that the plot against him was so widespread, the Chancellor secretly ordered the summary killing of every Jedi, everywhere in the galaxy, including those fighting alongside our army!

PALPATINE
These accounts, if they exist, are from Jedi traitors, who will say anything to stay alive . . . to strike again. They are far too dangerous to be kept alive. And if you know their whereabouts, reveal them now, or, as a collaborator, you can be made to suffer their fate.
PADMÉ
(to Palpatine)
What about the Younglings? Are they collaborators? Are they traitors?

No response.

PADMÉ (cont’d)
I know, for a fact, that one Youngling was cut down by Clone Soldiers, while trying to escape the Jedi Temple, and an eyewitness was shot at for seeing too much. The others are unaccounted for. What has happened to them? Where are the Younglings, Chancellor?!

INT. JEDI TEMPLE – HALLWAY – SAME TIME

Making their way through the ruins, Obi-Wan and Yoda come across the bodies of some students.

OBI-WAN
Not even the Younglings survived.

Yoda examines a body.

YODA
Killed not by Clones, this Padawan. By a light saber, he was.

OBI-WAN
Who?? Who could have done this?

EXT. MUSTAFAR - JEDI STARFIGHTER - SPACE

Anakin’s Jedi Starfighter heads for the hazy blood-red planet of Mustafar.

EXT. MUSTAFAR - LANDING PLATFORM - DAY

Anakin flies over the volcanoes of Mustafar and lands his Jedi Starfighter on a complex of landing platforms. His cockpit opens, as R2-D2 pops from the ship with a happy BEEP.

ANAKIN
Artoo, stay with the ship.

R2 lets out a sad little BEEP and moves back toward the ship.

INT. CORUSCANT - JEDI TEMPLE - COMPUTER ROOM – SAME TIME

Obi-Wan stands in the large computer area, as Yoda looks on, in the hatchway to the Main Control Center.

OBI-WAN
I've recalibrated the code to warn all surviving Jedi to stay away.

YODA
Good . . . For the Clones to discover the recalibration, a long time it will take. To change it back, longer still. Hurry.

INT. JEDI TEMPLE - CONTROL CENTER - CONTINUOUS

Obi-Wan enters the Main Control Center with Yoda and heads for the hologram area.

OBI-WAN
Wait, Master. There is something I must know.

YODA
If into the security recordings you go, only pain will you find.

OBI-WAN
I must know the truth, Master.

He moves to a panel and flips some switches. He sees a hologram of Anakin slaughtering Jedi, including the young ones. Obi-Wan and Yoda react in horror.

OBI-WAN (cont’d)
It can't be . . . It can't be . . .

In the hologram, as Anakin surveys the carnage, a dark-robed Sith Lord enters. Anakin turns to Darth Sidious and kneels before him.

Tears well up in Obi-Wan’s eyes.

INT. SENATE - SAME TIME

Palpatine feigns contrition.

PALPATINE
It was an unfortunate tragedy, but one we could not avoid. They would have killed many more of our soldiers, had we continued trying to take them alive. Believe me that the Younglings are in a better place now than they would be, if corrupted any further by Jedi teachings. Now, if you are finished making unwarranted accusations . . .

He waves his hand slowly in front of his chest.

PALPATINE (cont’d)
you will suspend . . . and return to your place.

It does not have the intended effect. Instead, Padmé shudders and stumbles backward. One hand grabs the chair for support. Her other hand clutches her womb. Ellé helps steady her.

PADMÉ
What did you just do?
(straightens, realizing)
That’s a Jedi technique . . . designed to make weak minds obey a suggestion. My mind must not be as weak as you thought. Silencing me will not be so easy!

INT. JEDI TEMPLE – CONTROL CENTER - SAME TIME

Obi-Wan continues searching through the holographic archive.

YODA
Leave now, we must.

Then, apparently due to something he pressed, Obi-Wan sees something appear o.s. near the far wall.

OBI-WAN
Master Yoda . . .

Yoda looks. They’re seeing live, holographic feed from the Senate, taking up a corner of the room. There, Padmé is speaking animatedly.

INT. SENATE - SAME TIME

Padmé continues addressing the vast chamber, again moving to establish different angles.

PADMÉ
I’ve never condoned assassination. And I’m not going to start. I’m just trying to understand why the Jedi, who’ve served the Republic honorably for centuries, who never once desired political power, would suddenly turn and try to kill our Chancellor.

Obi-Wan and Yoda continue to watch.

OBI-WAN
Does she know the danger she’s in?

YODA
Know, she does.

INT. SENATE - SAME TIME

Padmé continues, speaking as much to herself as to the chamber.

PADMÉ
Would they do it, solely, because they didn’t want to be controlled by him? No, there must be something more than that . . . something that I must now take sole responsibility for disclosing . . . Two years ago, my committee gained access to material concerning what is known to the Jedi as “the Dark Side of the Force,” and a rival sect that uses it, known as the “Sith.” It was a member of this sect who was responsible for the death of Jedi Master Qui-Gon Jinn, and the Jedi have been searching for the sect’s leader, ever since. I didn’t make the connection at the time. None of us did. But, now . . . I think . . . The Jedi found their “Lord of the Sith.”
(indicates Palpatine)
And he is here!

There is an UPROAR from Senators.

Obi-Wan gazes in astonishment, not at what was just revealed, but at who revealed it. Yoda’s expression is harder to read.

INT. SENATE - SAME TIME

It is Palpatine’s turn.

PALPATINE
The Jedi call it “the Dark Side.” I call it the side of truth, the side of victory, the supreme power that compels all of us to greatness! The Jedi have paid for their lack of vision, which nearly lost us the Republic. Had their small, fuzzy-minded philosophy prevailed, the Separatists would still be attacking! The Separatists would we winning!

PADMÉ
The Separatists whom you, in another guise, were helping.

INT. MUSTAFAR - MAIN CONTROL CENTER – SAME TIME

Anakin appears in the doorway of the control center.

NUTE GUNRAY
Welcome, Lord Vader. We've been expecting you.

Everyone in the room looks to him as he raises his hand toward a control panel, and all the exits close. The confused Separatists look around in bewilderment. Anakin ignites his light saber.

INT. SENATE - SAME TIME

Padmé punches keys very fast on her console.

PADMÉ
This is a subpoena for the communications records, complete and untouched, from your offices, both since becoming Chancellor, and, previously, when you were Senator.

A holographic copy of the subpoena appears on Palpatine’s document panel. He takes it and gives it a withering look.

PALPATINE
My meetings with citizens of the Republic, representing its various worlds and industries, are held in confidence, so that they are free to give honest advice. They need not fear how their words might be used to extort or embarrass them or those near them.

PADMÉ
Do these citizens who give you advice include Viceroy Nute Gunray?

INT. MUSTAFAR – MAIN CONTROL CENTER – CONFERENCE ROOM - SAME TIME

Nute Gunray is hiding under a table, HEARING SCREAMS from the Separatists who are being slaughtered o.s.

INT. HALLWAY – SAME TIME

Anakin cuts down Droids and Separatists alike. He is unstoppable. He turns his head. His eyes are yellow.

INT. CONFERENCE ROOM - CONTINUOUS

Anakin enters the small conference room where some more of the Separatists are hiding. Rune Haako tries to run, but is trapped by a dead-end, as Anakin advances.

RUNE HAAKO
Stop! Enough! This is not right!

Rune is cut down. Nute Gunray crawls out from under the table and runs out, as Anakin turns.

INT. CORRIDOR – CONTINUOUS

Nute Gunray opens a door, which allows TWO DESTROYER DROIDS to enter.

INT. CONFERENCE ROOM - CONTINUOUS

Anakin cuts down the last two Separatists in the room. The Destroyer Droids appear in the doorway and BLAST away, causing total destruction. When the FIRING is over, Anakin is gone. Blown away? No. He drops from the ceiling behind the Droids and cuts them to pieces, before they know what hit them.

INT. HALLWAY - CONTINUOUS

Nute Gunray is the last Separatist leader alive. Anakin moves on to find him hiding in an alcove.

NUTE GUNRAY
But . . . the war is over. Lord Sidious promised us peace!

ANAKIN
Like the peace you tried repeatedly to give my wife?

NUTE GUNRAY
Your wife? I don’t understand. Who is your wife? Have I met her?

ANAKIN
I would say yes.

He uses the Force to push Nute Gunray against the wall and holds his light saber up to him.

ANAKIN (cont’d)
This is for Padmé!

NUTE GUNRAY
Padmé . . . Amid-

Nute Gunray begins SCREAMING o.s., as Anakin delivers him peace, with extreme prejudice.

INT. SENATE - SAME TIME

Palpatine feigns indignation.

PALPATINE
Your order is worthless. It is nothing more than a fishing expedition.

PADMÉ
You’ve been away from Naboo for too long. Sometimes, we catch some very big fish . . . The law is clear. You have no choice but to comply with the order.

PALPATINE
Have I?

He holds up the subpoena and, with his other hand, FIRES a BOLT of energy, which makes the panel generating it SPARK, BURST INTO FLAMES, and EXPLODE in his hand. Padmé is aghast, as are her aides, Bail and many others.

PALPATINE (cont’d)
Sue me.

He lets that sink in, as he shows that his hand is unscathed. A pall of fear permeates the chamber.

PALPATINE (cont’d)
Because you and I share a common history, I’ve tolerated this mad display of yours. But, now, I tire of it. So, take your pod back to its station, or I will have it, and you, removed . . . permanently.

PADMÉ
(takes deep breaths)
Then . . . it has come to this. I have no choice, but to move . . . for a vote of No Confidence in your leadership as Chancellor, or Emperor, or whatever it is you call yourself!

There is another UPROAR.

PADMÉ (cont’d)
(looks up and about)
And, because, in this extraordinary circumstance, Senators may be in fear for their lives, I move that the vote be taken anonymously!

There is general PANDEMONIUM. Mas Amedda BANGS his staff, and the Senate quiets.

PALPATINE
Yes, there will be a vote.
(looks up and about)
But there will be no anonymous political assassination. The emergency authority granted me has a safeguard, which I hereby invoke. THE VOTE SHALL BE COMPLETELY OPEN! AND I WILL KNOW WHO THE TRAITORS ARE!

Again, there is PANDEMONIUM. Palpatine flashes Padmé an evil grin. Already, she is devastated.

INT. JEDI TEMPLE – CONTROL CENTER – SAME TIME

Obi-Wan turns to Yoda.

OBI-WAN
Master Yoda, I beg of you. Send me to kill the Emperor. Send me to save Padmé. I will not kill Anakin.

YODA
To fight this Lord Sidious, strong enough you are not.

OBI-WAN
He’s like a brother to me . . . I cannot do it!

YODA
Twisted by the Dark Side, young Skywalker has become. The boy you trained is gone . . . consumed by Darth Vader.

OBI-WAN
How could it have come to this?

YODA
To question, no time there is.

OBI-WAN
I do not know where the Emperor has sent him. I don’t know where to look.

YODA
Use your feelings, Obi-Wan, and find him you will. Visit our new Emperor, my task is.

OBI-WAN
And Padmé. Will you try to save her?

YODA
Destroy the Emperor first, I must. If also save her I can, I will. If not, I will not. There will be no try.

INT. SENATE - MINUTES LATER

Palpatine stands in triumph. Padmé’s eyes are lowered in defeat. Her aides and Bail look on fearfully.

PALPATINE
(to the chamber)
The Senate has given its overwhelming support to a glorious future!
(to Padmé)
One that I fear will have no place in it for you.

PADMÉ
Maybe not.
(looks him in the eyes)
But, as Emperor, you’ll make many more enemies than you ever did as Chancellor or Senator.
(to the chamber)
What happened here, on this day, will be remembered. And it will hasten the time when the thousands of worlds of the former Republic rise up in rebellion, to be free once again!

Many Senators GASP. Some hide their faces, terrified from what everyone assumes is coming next. Ellé and Moteé hold each other tearfully. Bail tries to console them. From an upper pod, Mon Mothma watches in awe.

PALPATINE
My dear Senator Padmé Amidala, it would appear that you have developed a desire to die . . . and, it seems, to take your unborn child with you. You may, then, be disappointed to learn that I will not be satisfying it. Were I to charge you with treason, you would be executed.
(to the chamber)
But to show that I am not what some have made me out to be, I shall refrain.
(to Padmé)
You are free . . . to leave.

Padmé is stunned, as are the others with her.

Relieved but mystified, Obi-Wan turns to Yoda. Yoda looks pensive.

Suddenly, the door is BLOWN open. CLONE TROOPS pour in, BLASTING away, but not before Obi-Wan and Yoda ignite their light sabers to deflect the BOLTS. As they charge and cut down the Clones who have entered the room, Yoda leaps through the door into the hallway.

INT. HALLWAY – CONTINUOUS

Using the walls and ceiling to bounce and leap so fast that he becomes a soft blur of Yodaness, Yoda dispatch-es the Clones in the hallway in very short order.

INT. CONTROL CENTER – CONTINUOUS

Obi-Wan continues to cut down the Clones who enter the room, until they are all dead. Yoda approaches and peers in through the doorway.

OBI-WAN
You don’t have to say it. We’ve stayed here too long.

INT. SENATE - SAME TIME

Their pod having descended, Bail, Padmé and her aides have left the chamber. Looking on, Palpatine speaks quietly under his breath.

PALPATINE
I leave your fate to another.

INT. MAIN HALLWAY - MINUTES LATER

Palpatine’s two other Republic Guards are forcibly escorting Padmé down the hall. She moves her hand in front of her chest.

PADMÉ
There’s no need to push. I said I’m going.

It doesn’t work. She’s too upset. So, she shakes herself loose from them instead.

EXT. SENATE OFFICE BUILDING - EVENING

A large, open vehicle descends from the massive struc-ture to the city below. On the vehicle, just before it reaches street level, the guards on either side of Padmé grab her and throw her out like a projectile. She CRIES OUT in protest, before hitting the pavement rolling. Her right foot hits a raised curb, before she comes to a stop face-up.

A MINUTE LATER

Concerned HUMANS and ALIENS gather around, as Padmé tries to stand. Descending in a speeder, Bail hops out and rushes to her aid.

BAIL
Are you hurt?

PADMÉ
It depends on the meaning.

BAIL
The guards let me pass, but not your aides. They’ve been detained for questioning.

PADMÉ
That’s what I feared, even though neither of them knows anything that would be damaging now.

BAIL
I’ve contacted the Naboo Consulate for them.

He helps her up.

BAIL (cont’d)
Come, let me take you home.

Putting her weight on her right foot, Padmé recoils in pain.

PADMÉ
Oh!
SamR is offline   you may: