View Single Post
Old 12-02-2006, 08:30 PM   #6
SamR
Rookie

INT. PADMÉ’S APARTMENT – LIVING ROOM - TWILIGHT

Bail helps Padmé into the living room. Outside the window, the sun has just set. C-3PO approaches them.

C-3PO
Oh dear, My Lady, you’re injured! How did this happen? What should I do?

Bail helps Padmé onto the largest of the couches, where she lies down.

BAIL
(to C-3PO)
Go prepare a med device to heal her foot.

C-3PO
Right away, sir.

C-3PO heads away, as Bail pours Padmé a cup of juice from the pitcher on the low table. She drinks it down. C-3PO turns around.

C-3PO (cont’d)
Oh, I think you should know. Master Kenobi is . . .

Obi-Wan appears from the hallway.

C-3PO (cont’d)
Here.

C-3PO exits to the other room. Bail sits on one of the other couches, as Obi-Wan approaches.

OBI-WAN
You were . . . brilliant today, Padmé.

PADMÉ
You saw it?

OBI-WAN
Most of it.

PADMÉ
I wasn’t brilliant. I failed.

OBI-WAN
(paces slowly)
You unmasked the Emperor . . . took away his pretense . . . and, we can hope, shortened his reign. There was nothing more you could have done. The Republic had already fallen. It was too far-gone. It’s now up to Master Yoda.

PADMÉ
To assassinate him?

OBI-WAN
(turns to her)
No, to fight him fairly, as the Jedi always have.

PADMÉ
Palpatine doesn’t fight fairly, in case you haven’t noticed. Master Yoda doesn’t stand much of a chance, does he?

OBI-WAN
Are you suggesting . . .?

PADMÉ
No, I’m not. I know what would happen then. Even one with as much good in him as Master Yoda would become lost to the Dark Side, and, with him, so would we.
(softly)
But I almost did. That man has taken away everything we stood for . . . everything I’ve lived for . . . even Anakin . . . my Ani.
(raises up)
I must go to Anakin and try to bring him back . . . back to us . . . back to me.

OBI-WAN
(paces again)
That may not be possible. Anakin, too, may be too far-gone. He, too, has been made a Lord of the Sith, and they’ve given him a name . . . Darth Vader.

Padmé lies back down. Obi-Wan turns to her.

OBI-WAN (cont’d)
I don’t know where the Emperor has sent Anakin, and I need to find him. Do you know where he has gone?

PADMÉ
(realizing)
You’re going to kill him.

OBI-WAN
I will, if I have to . . . if he leaves me no choice. And, to be completely sincere . . . I doubt that I’ll have a choice.

PADMÉ
Then . . . to be completely sincere . . . Yes, I know where he went, but I won’t tell you.

She turns her face away. Obi-Wan sits on another of the couches, eyes lowered.

OBI-WAN
Padmé . . . this is very difficult . . . but, if you’re intent on seeing Anakin again, you must know . . . I’ve been to the Jedi Temple.

Bail sits forward anxiously.

OBI-WAN (cont’d)
I’ve seen the bodies of the Younglings . . . their condition. Padmé raises up, apprehensive.

OBI-WAN (cont’d)
I’ve seen the security recording.

PADMÉ
(softly, shaking her head)
No.

BAIL
General, please don’t do this.

OBI-WAN
Only the few who got out were killed by Clones. The rest . . .

PADMÉ
No, not Ani.

OBI-WAN
Yes.

PADMÉ
(lies back)
I don’t believe you! I can’t!

OBI-WAN
(softly)
Search you feelings. You know it to be true.

Padmé cries.

OBI-WAN (cont’d)
I’m sorry.

PADMÉ
Please, go now.

Bail gets up and walks over to where Obi-Wan is still sitting. Obi-Wan is genuinely in pain.

OBI-WAN
I’m truly sorry.

BAIL
(tugs at Obi-Wan)
Come, let’s go.

OBI-WAN
(stands)
Your children . . .

Padmé looks straight at him.

OBI-WAN (cont’d)
Anakin’s the father?

PADMÉ
Get out!

OBI-WAN
(suddenly fearful)
Padmé, I’ll help you any way I can. Just don’t give up. There is hope, for you and for them!

PADMÉ
GET OUT!

BAIL
(to Padme, as he grabs Obi-Wan)
We’re going.

Bail pulls Obi-Wan with him toward the outer door.

INT. APARTMENT BUILDING – ELEVATOR – MINUTES LATER

Obi-Wan and Bail descend, with the city lights rising behind them. Obi-Wan is distraught.

OBI-WAN
We should not be leaving her alone right now.

BAIL
We don’t have a choice. You saw to that. What were you doing?

OBI-WAN
(softly)
What I had to do . . . but I never meant for it to harm her. You must know that.

BAIL
I don’t know anymore. The Jedi . . . the Sith. In a way, you deserve each other.

Obi-Wan looks at him, disturbed.

INT. APARTMENT – LIVING ROOM - MINUTES LATER

Padmé sits up on the couch, using a small medical device on her foot. She switches it off, sets it down, and lies back, staring up . . .

PADMÉ’S P.O.V - CONTINUOUS

Through the skylight, and the haze, at the dimly visible stars beyond.

INT. APARTMENT – DROID’S ROOM - MINUTES LATER

Padmé, having changed into traveling clothes, pops into the room where C-3PO stays.

PADMÉ
Come, Threepio. We’re leaving.

C-3PO
But, My Lady. What about your injury? The healing takes time.

EXT. MUSTAFAR LANDING PLATFORM - NIGHT

Waiting next to Anakin’s Jedi fighter, R2-D2 looks around, making forlorn NOISES. Apart from the distant RUMBLINGS of equipment and lava flows, all is quiet.

A MINUTE LATER

R2 is rolling toward the main building.

R2’S P.O.V. - CONTINUOUS

We ROLL INTO the building through the open outer doors and THROUGH a dark corridor to an inner door, which is sealed.

INT. CORRIDOR - CONTINUOUS

R2 connects his service arm to a port in the door’s control panel, and turns it. The door opens.

R2’S P.O.V. - CONTINUOUS

We ROLL SLOWLY INTO the Main Control Center. There, laid out before us, is the massive carnage that was once the remaining Separatist leaders.

INT. MAIN CONTROL CENTER – CONTINUOUS

Upset, R2 turns back and forth and makes lots of NOISE.

Anakin is bent over a console, his back turned. His hand is on a control next to a large flashing light, beside which holographic communications records appear and are erased. His other hand holds his light saber, presently turned off. He turns around and, with a mad expression, ignites the light saber.

R2 freezes. Anakin waves the light saber slowly before his own face.

ANAKIN
Artoo . . . I thought I told you to stay with the ship . . . Was there something you wanted to tell me?

The muted NOISES R2 makes indicate an answer in the negative.

EXT. CORUSCANT – CITY LANDING PLATFORM - NIGHT

Padmé hobbles as fast as she can toward her Naboo Cruiser. C-3PO follows, directing an automated cart of hastily thrown together luggage.

Obi-Wan appears from around a corner, out of Padmé’s and C-3PO’s line of sight.

As Padmé starts up the ramp, the door opens, and Captain Typho emerges, looking concerned.

PADMÉ
(catching her breath)
Captain Typho.

CAPTAIN TYPHO
I took the first available transport back. I’ve been trying to contact you from here. My Lady, are you all right?

PADMÉ
I’ve had better days.

CAPTAIN TYPHO
I know. I heard what happened.

PADMÉ
Is there any word on Ellé and Moteé? Are they alive?

CAPTAIN TYPHO
As far as we know. We’re doing everything we can to get them released.

PADMÉ
If you see them . . . tell them that I’m sorry it came to this, and, if it’s at all possible, I’ll make it up to them . . . But I cannot remain here. There’s somewhere I must go . . . something I must do urgently.

Captain Typho glances at C-3PO approaching with the cart of luggage.

CAPTAIN TYPHO
Yes, I can see that. I am to come with you, of course.

PADMÉ
No, thank you, Captain. The danger that you could protect me from is over. The fighting has stopped . . . and this is personal.

CAPTAIN TYPHO
I’ve been in communication with the Queen. Her Majesty has forgiven you.

PADMÉ
I haven’t asked for her forgiveness.

CAPTAIN TYPHO
Her Majesty gives it freely. It doesn’t matter to her who the child’s father is. And she believes what you did in the Senate was heroic, though she can’t say it publicly. She wishes to learn from you and requests that you return to Naboo and become her mentor.

PADMÉ
Thank Her Majesty for me, but, the way things are now, I cannot go back. My path lies elsewhere.

CAPTAIN TYPHO
May I ask where?

PADMÉ
You may ask.

CAPTAIN TYPHO
My Lady, you should not be traveling alone. You are not well.

PADMÉ
Not well?! Would you be well in my circumstance? Besides, I won’t be alone. Threepio can look after me.

C-3PO
Oh, dear.

Padmé advances. Captain Typho backs up.

CAPTAIN TYPHO
I swore an oath, My Lady.

PADMÉ
I release you from it.

CAPTAIN TYPHO
The Queen has renewed it. I am to protect you against any further danger, regardless of your feelings on the matter.

PADMÉ
Where I’m going, I’ll either have all the protection I need, or no amount of protection will be enough. You’ll be in much more danger than me, so stand aside, Captain!

She starts toward him. He draws his weapon.

Alarmed, Obi-Wan draws his light saber but stops short of igniting it.

CAPTAIN TYPHO
Right now, you are a danger to yourself.

PADMÉ
I take it I’m to mentor the Queen from a mental asylum then?

CAPTAIN TYPHO
No, the Queen’s offer is genuine. But, My Lady, please understand-

With quick hand movements, Padmé disarms Captain Typho and throws him off the ramp, seemingly farther than her petite frame would allow. Landing on his back, he reaches for a second weapon, but Padmé has already drawn hers from a belt underneath her long blouse.

PADMÉ
Don’t!

Captain Typho doesn’t move.

PADMÉ (cont’d)
Threepio, load the ship.

C-3PO moves up behind her with the cart.

C-3PO
My Lady, I think you should listen to Captain Typho.

PADMÉ
Just do as I said, or you can stay behind with him!

C-3PO maneuvers the cart into the ship.

PADMÉ (cont’d)
I’m sorry, Captain, that we had to part this way.

She enters the ship and seals the door. Captain Typho is starting to get up, when he sees someone standing over him. It is Obi-Wan.

OBI-WAN
(quietly)
It’s all right. I’ll look after her.

Captain Typho looks on in bewilderment, as Obi-Wan jumps onto the retracting ramp. Obi-Wan uses the Force to open the door partway and ducks under it, before the ramp is gone. The door closes.

INT. NABOO CRUISER - COCKPIT – SAME TIME

C-3PO chatters away, as Padmé fights back tears.

C-3PO
Green light. Do you know I think I'm beginning to get the hang of this flying business?

EXT. LANDING PLATFORM - CONTINUOUS

The ship LIFTS OFF and heads into the traffic lanes.

INT. NABOO CRUISER - CARGO HOLD – MINUTES LATER

Obi-Wan sits perfectly still against the wall, deep in thought.

EXT. MUSTAFAR - SPACE

The Naboo Cruiser approaches the glow of lava flows, which cover much of the planet Mustafar’s night side.

EXT. MUSTAFAR - LANDING PLATFORM – NIGHT

The Cruiser lands close to where Anakin’s Jedi fighter is parked.

INT. MAIN CONTROL CENTER – SAME TIME

Anakin, his back turned again, watches the Cruiser land through the window.

EXT. LANDING PLATFORM - NIGHT

The door to the Cruiser opens, and Padmé emerges. Her foot seems to be better, but she still has a limp. Sensing something, she draws her blaster from its still concealed holster. But she thinks better of it, and puts it back, as she hears a familiar NOISE above the background DRONE. She then sees R2-D2 rolling toward her. He BEEPS frantically, as he reaches her.

PADMÉ
Artoo.

She feels him. He is shaking.

ANAKIN (O.S.)
Padmé!

Padmé looks up to see Anakin standing on the observa-tion platform. He comes running toward her. She goes to meet him partway.

ANAKIN (cont’d)
I saw your ship . . . I’m sorry for last night.

They embrace.

ANAKIN (cont’d)
Did something happen to you? You’re limping.
(before she can answer)
Anyway, you’re safe now. What are you doing out here?

PADMÉ
I’m here, because I’m frightened, but not for me, for you. So many terrible things happened. Like I said, they’ve been affecting you.

ANAKIN
You’re right. They have, but in a wonderful way.

PADMÉ
Anakin, I must tell you. I know about the Dark Side. I’ve known for a long time . . . and I know I’m losing you.

Taken aback, Anakin breaks their embrace.

ANAKIN
What are you saying?

PADMÉ
Now, Obi-Wan has told me something more, and I must know the truth . . . Did you kill the Younglings?

ANAKIN
Obi-Wan . . . He saw you again? He’s trying to turn you against me.

PADMÉ
No, I don’t believe that. He cares about us.

ANAKIN
Us?!

PADMÉ
He wants to help you, but he doesn’t know how. He thinks it’s too late. Is he right? Is it too late?

ANAKIN
For his way, it is. If I turn back, who’s going to help you? Who’s going to protect you? Obi-Wan? He isn’t strong enough.

PADMÉ
Anakin, I don’t want your protection . . . not like this. All I want is your love.

ANAKIN
Love won’t save you, Padmé. Only my new powers can do that. I won’t lose you the way I lost my mother. I’ve become more powerful than any Jedi has ever dreamed of, and I’ve done it for you. I can protect you now . . . from anything . . . even in the Senate.

Padmé turns around, eyes lowered.

PADMÉ
There’s no need to be afraid of that anymore. I’ve been thrown out of the Senate. There’s nothing left for me there, or on Naboo, under him.

Anakin is stunned. Padmé turns back to him and grabs him below his shoulders.

PADMÉ (cont’d)
Break the hold that the Emperor has on you, and let’s get away from here! I’ve already packed. We can go to a far corner of the galaxy, where there’s no war . . . no empire . . . where we can raise our children. We can return someday, when it’s possible to do something good again!

ANAKIN
(breaks away)
And waste everything I’ve accomplished?! Don’t you see, there’s no reason for us to run away. I’ve defeated the enemies of the Republic . . . even the Viceroy, your old enemy. I killed him for you. I’ve brought peace to the galaxy . . . made the new empire possible. Now, I’m more powerful than the Emperor himself.

He comes back and puts his hands on her shoulders.

ANAKIN (cont’d)
You’re upset that he threw you out of the Senate? You don’t need the Senate. I can overthrow the Emperor, and, together, you and I can rule . . . make things the way we want them to be!

PADMÉ
(backs away)
I don’t believe what I’m hearing! Obi-Wan was right! It has gone too far! You’ve changed!

ANAKIN
I don’t want to hear any more about Obi-Wan. The Jedi turned against me. Don’t you turn against me!

PADMÉ
(in tears)
I don’t know you anymore! Anakin, you’re breaking my heart! I love you. I’ll never stop loving you. But you’re going down a path I can’t follow!

ANAKIN
And why can’t you follow me? Why can’t you have faith in me?!

PADMÉ
Because of what you’ve done . . . what you plan to do! Stop! Stop now! I love you!

ANAKIN
(looks toward the ship)
Liar!

Padmé turns around. There is Obi-Wan standing in the doorway.

PADMÉ
No!

ANAKIN
You’re with him! You betrayed me! You brought him here to kill me!

PADMÉ
No! Anakin, I swear. I-

Anakin reaches out, and Padmé grabs her throat, as she starts to choke. She reaches with her other hand, trying to block the power, but it is no use. R2 BEEPS in protest.

OBI-WAN
Anakin, release her!

Anakin continues to choke Padmé remotely. Her eyes plead with him.

ANAKIN
(low, to Padmé)
What were you doing with him?

OBI-WAN
Let her go, Anakin!

Anakin doesn’t hear him. He’s still reaching out. Padmé is losing consciousness.

OBI-WAN (cont’d)
ANAKIN!

He runs to tackle Anakin. Anakin turns at him, his hand still out. Obi-Wan falls backwards. Padmé falls to the ground, unconscious. Obi-Wan scrambles to his feet and, catching his breath, faces Anakin.

ANAKIN
Your feelings betray you, Obi-Wan.
(points to her)
You want Padmé!

OBI-WAN
(incredulous)
What? . . .

ANAKIN
You want to take her from me! What have you and she been up to?!

OBI-WAN
She and I . . . You’re thinking that . . .
(shakes his head)
You are sadly mistaken.

R2 rolls to Padmé, making soft NOISES.

OBI-WAN (cont’d)
(thinking it over)
I care for Padmé, yes. I empathize with her . . . something you, obviously, have forgotten how to do. But I don’t . . . want her. Not in the way that you’re suggesting!

ANAKIN
You turned her against me!

OBI-WAN
You have done that yourself.

ANAKIN
You will not take her from me.

He throws off his cloak.

OBI-WAN
Your anger and your lust for power have already done that.

He flings off his cloak.

OBI-WAN (cont’d)
You have allowed this Dark Lord to twist your mind until now . . . until now you have become the very thing you swore to destroy.

They circle each other, until Obi-Wan is near Padmé. He kneels and places his hand on her. She is alive.

ANAKIN
Don't lecture me, Obi-Wan. I know what I’m doing. I do not fear the Dark Side, as you do. Through it, I have brought peace, justice, freedom and security to my new Empire.

OBI-WAN
(stands)
Your new Empire?

ANAKIN
It is my destiny . . . once I kill the Emperor and take his place, with Padmé by my side.

OBI-WAN
Anakin, Padmé’s allegiance, and mine, is to the Republic . . . to democracy. You should have seen her-

ANAKIN
(interrupting)
If you're not with me, then you are my enemy!

Obi-Wan thinks a moment.

OBI-WAN
Only a Sith deals in absolutes. I will do what I must.

He ignites his light saber.

ANAKIN
You will try.

Anakin ignites his light saber. He lashes out at Obi-Wan, and they begin a ferocious sword fight. Anakin throws containers at Obi-Wan, using the Force. They work their way off the landing platform and into the main entry hallway. Anakin kicks Obi-Wan who drops to a lower level.

INT. CORUSCANT - SENATE ARENA - CHANCELLOR'S HOLDING OFFICE – SAME TIME

Yoda enters, using the Force to throw the two Republic Guards (the second pair) against the wall, knocking them unconscious. Darth Sidious turns his chair toward Yoda. Mas Amedda stands behind Sidious' desk.

YODA
I hear a new apprentice, you have, Emperor, or should I call you Darth Sidious.

DARTH SIDIOUS
Master Yoda, you survived.

YODA
Surprised?

DARTH SIDIOUS
Your arrogance blinds you, Master Yoda. Now you will experience the full power of the Dark Side!

The Dark Lord raises his arms, and LIGHTNING BOLTS shoot out, surrounding Yoda. Yoda is picked up and thrown across the room, hitting the wall and sliding down in a crumpled heap. Sidious chuckles.

INT. MUSTAFAR - PASSAGES TO CONTROL CENTER – SAME TIME

Anakin and Obi-Wan move their fight toward the main control center.
As the laser swords fly, bits of the hallway are cut up. Obi-Wan and Anakin jump and use every trick in the Jedi book.

INT. CORUSCANT - HOLDING OFFICE – SAME TIME

Mas Amedda leaves the room. Darth Sidious approaches a stunned Yoda.

DARTH SIDIOUS
I have waited a long time for this moment, my little green friend. At last, the Jedi are no more.

YODA
Not if anything I have to say about it, Lord Sidious.

Yoda uses the Force to throw Sidious back, knocking him clear over his desk and onto the floor in a heap.

YODA (cont’d)
At an end your rule is and not short enough it was, I must say.

Darth Sidious flies through the air, cape flapping, heading toward the exit. At the last second, Yoda flies into the exit and stops the Dark Lord.

YODA (cont’d)
If so powerful you are, why leave??

Yoda ignites his light saber.

DARTH SIDIOUS
You will not stop me. Darth Vader shall become more powerful than either of us.

Sidious ignites his light saber.

YODA
Faith in your new apprentice, misplaced may be, as is your faith in the Dark Side of the Force.

Their swords CLASH. The battle is extremely fast and furious.

INT. MUSTAFAR - MAIN CONTROL CENTER – SAME TIME

View screens EXPLODE around Anakin and Obi-Wan, as they work their way into the Control Room. The fighting is intense. Obi-Wan is on the defensive, as he jumps up on the table view screen in the center of the room.

ANAKIN
Don't make me destroy you, Master. You're no match for the Dark Side.

OBI-WAN
I've heard that before, Anakin . . . but I never thought I'd hear it from you.

Anain forces Obi-Wan back into the Conference Room, where the quarters are much closer. SPARKS fly everywhere. Anakin jumps onto the conference table. Obi-Wan slides across the table, knocking Anakin over, both of them dropping their light sabers as they fall. Obi-Wan uses the Force to summon his dropped light saber. Anakin does the same.

INT. CORUSCANT - SENATE CHAMBER – SAME TIME

Darth Sidious seeks refuge in the vast Senate chamber. He gets into the Chancellor's podium, and it starts to rise up into the arena. Yoda makes a giant leap into the control pod. The sword fighting is intense in the confined space.

INT. MUSTAFAR - MAIN CONTROL CENTER – SAME TIME

The battle intensifies.

OBI-WAN
The flaw of power is arrogance.

He stands looking at his former apprentice.

ANAKIN
You hesitate . . . the flaw of compassion.

They lock sabers. Obi-Wan puts out his hand to use the Force to push Anakin away. Anakin puts out his hand to block Obi-Wan. Both combatants are BLASTED backwards onto the control panels. They regain their footing, and the battle continues. Anakin kicks Obi-Wan away. They battle around the room, and eventually the door to the exterior is knocked open. They continue battling out onto the balcony.

INT. CORUSCANT - SENATE CHAMBER – SAME TIME

Yoda unleashes a ferocious assault on Sidious, causing him to almost go over the edge. The Dark Lord drops his light saber but recovers with a BLAST OF ENERGY from his hands that surrounds Yoda. Yoda deflects the Sith Lord's LIGHTNING BOLTS. The ENERGY BOLTS begin to arc back on the Emperor. It looks as if the Dark Lord is doomed.

YODA
Destroy you I will, just as Master Kenobi, your apprentice will destroy.

Sidious reaches out with one hand, and a Senate pod is released from its mooring and heads toward the podium. Yoda jumps to a lower pod to avoid it. Sidious uses the Force to hurl pod after pod at Yoda, who ducks and jumps from one flying pod to another. Yoda leaps away from the pods and uses the Force to hold one of them suspended in the air. The pod spins, and Yoda throws it back at Sidious, who leaps away at the last moment.

Yoda leaps after him, but Sidious quickly turns and aims the full force of his ENERGY BOLTS at the tiny green Jedi, catching him in mid-air and throwing him back hard against the podium. The impact causes Yoda to drop his light saber. Yoda blocks the LIGHTNING and throws Sidious backwards off the podium. The backlash knocks Yoda off the podium, and he falls several hundred feet to the base. Sidious follows in the pod he has caught, searching for Yoda.

EXT. MUSTAFAR - CONTROL CENTER BALCONY – SAME TIME

Anakin forces Obi-Wan down a narrow balcony outside the Control Room. He rips objects off the wall and throws them at Obi-Wan, as he pushes him further along. The DRONE of equipment and RUMBLE of flowing lava o.s. is getting louder. The balcony ends, and Obi-Wan is trapped. He looks over the balcony and into a river of lava. Anakin cuts a piece of the balcony railing off, along with a control panel. ALARMS SOUND, and a protective ray shield around the superstructure disappears. It tumbles into the molten abyss, disappearing in a puff of smoke. Hot gases rise.

A small pipe connects the Control Center to the Main Collection Plant. Obi-Wan has no choice but to tightrope-walk out across the lava river. Following Obi-Wan, Anakin jumps down onto the flexing pipe, lands, and resumes fighting. Obi-Wan and Anakin work their way across the small pipe, fighting ferociously as they go. But the heat and the fumes are beginning to affect them. Their light sabers, though light, are beginning to feel heavy.

Obi-Wan slips, throws his light saber up in the air, grabs on to the pipe, swings around, grabs on to an upper pipe, retrieves his light saber, and lands back on the original pipe, almost losing his balance again. They continue to fight across the pipe until they reach the Main Collection Plant.

INT. CORUSCANT - SENATE BUILDING - WIRING CHUTE – SAME TIME

Yoda squishes his way through a mass of wires in a small chute. He opens his comlink.

YODA
Hurry. Careful timing, we will need.

INT. SENATE CHAMBER – SAME TIME

A Senate pod with COMMANDER THIRE and SEVERAL OTHER CLONE TROOPERS moves up to where Mas Amedda and Darth Sidious are waiting. Beneath the podium, TWENTY CLONE TROOPERS search for Yoda's body. Curious SENATORS look on from some of the pod entrances.

CLONE COMMANDER THIRE
There is no sign of his body, sir.

MAS AMEDDA
Then he is not dead.

DARTH SIDIOUS
Double your search.

CLONE COMMANDER THIRE
Yes, sir. Right away, sir.

DARTH SIDIOUS
(to Mas Amedda)
Tell Captain Kagi to prepare my shuttle for immediate takeoff.

MAS AMEDDA
Yes, Master.

DARTH SIDIOUS
I sense Lord Vader is in danger.

EXT. MUSTAFAR - COLLECTION PANELS – SAME TIME

Here, the DRONE of equipment is at its loudest, as Obi-Wan and Anakin battle on the top of the multispired collection panels. They jump from one to the other with increasing difficulty, the landing being the hardest part. At the end of the collection cluster, a huge SPRAY of lava covers the attachments that hold up the collectors. The frame begins to melt. It's raining lava. Both Anakin and Obi-Wan run for cover under the collection cluster. They continue to fight in the lava rain, darting from cover to attack, then retreating to cover.

Support for the entire structure begins to fall away, and the collection cluster falls into the lava river. The Jedi continue their fight, climbing to the highest point on the tower, as the rest begins to melt away riding the swift current down the river. It bends toward the lava, as they get out toward the end.

They are, by now, extremely hot, tired, dehydrated, and suffering from poison gas. Burns are forming on their faces and hands. Yet they keep fighting with what remains of their strength, Anakin seeming to have more than Obi-Wan. The tower slowly starts to sink under the lava.

EXT. CORUSCANT - SENATE OFFICE BUILDING – SAME TIME

Bail Organa, in his open-cockpit speeder, flies along next to the roof eave of the huge Senate Building. He slows and moves close to a long row of recessed lights. Suddenly, Yoda falls out of one of the recesses and lands in the speeder. Bail GUNS IT and heads away.

INT. BAIL ORGANA'S SPEEDER - CONTINUOUS

Yoda straightens himself out.

YODA
Into exile I must go. Failed, I have.

Bail and Yoda fly into the traffic of the city.

EXT. MUSTAFAR - COLLECTION PANELS – SAME TIME

Obi-Wan realizes he is getting very close to the edge of the lava. He grabs a thick cable and leaps from the collection arm. Anakin follows, grabbing another cable. They are barely able to hang onto the cables, as they climb up them, so forget about fighting. Then they see . . .

INSERT – THE LAVA RIVER AHEAD

dropping off in a tremendous, ROARING lava fall.

BACK TO SCENE

SNAPPING and METAL GROANS are heard, as the main part of the collector starts to break away and move toward the increasing ROAR of the lava fall. Obi-Wan looks around and sees a small floating platform making its way toward the tower. Using the Force, he does a double hack-flip to the floating platform. He collapses upon landing, but quickly gets up and leans to one side to move away from the tower.

Anakin sees two large, mound-like WORKER DROIDS in the distance. He climbs up the tower, concentrates, then leaps through the air, miraculously landing on one of the Droids. The Droid is confused and CHATTERS to its co-worker. The giant collector goes over the lava flow and disappears in the mist of sparks below.

Obi-Wan heads for the bank of the lava river, but Anakin's Droid is faster. Their burn injuries more pronounced, he catches up with his old Master who, by now, is barely able to stand.

OBI-WAN
I have failed you, Anakin . . . I was never able to teach you to think.

ANAKIN
I should have known the Jedi were plotting to take over . . .

OBI-WAN
From the Sith! . . . Anakin . . . Palpatine is evil.

ANAKIN
From the Jedi point of view! From my point of view, he isn’t the only one. You are also evil!

OBI-WAN
Then you are truly lost.

Anakin raises his light saber.

ANAKIN
This is the end for you, my Master . . . I wish it were otherwise.

With the Force, Anakin jumps and flips onto Obi-Wan’s platform. The fighting resumes, until Obi-Wan, also using the Force, jumps toward the safety of the black sandy edge of the lava river. He lands against a large rock outcropping, but then rights himself.

OBI-WAN
It's over, Anakin . . . I have the high ground.

ANAKIN
You underestimate my power.

He begins to concentrate.

OBI-WAN
No . . . Don’t try it! . . . Anakin!

Anakin lifts off the platform and comes flying through the air at Obi-Wan. Obi-Wan holds still, at first, then ducks aside and swings his light saber. It slices through both of Anakin’s legs at the knees. Obi-Wan swings it back and cuts off Anakin’s left arm.

Dropping his light saber, Anakin tumbles down the embankment and rolls to a stop near the edge of the lava. Obi-Wan falls back against the rock, also dropping his light saber.

Anakin struggles to pull himself up the embankment with his mechanical hand. His thin leather glove has burned off. He keeps sliding down in the black sand.

Watching helplessly, Obi-Wan would be in tears, if he had any moisture to spare.

OBI-WAN (cont’d)
We were brothers! . . . I cared for you . . . I honored Qui-Gon’s dying wish by training you . . . He said you were the Chosen One! . . . He said you were going to destroy the Sith . . . bring balance to the Force . . . not join them and leave us in Darkness! . . . You talk of betrayal . . . You betrayed . . . everyone who loved you . . . everyone who had hope for you! . . . Even your mother! . . . If she were alive . . .

ANAKIN
I . . . HATE . . . YOU!

Anakin's clothing blows into the lava river and ignites. He BURSTS INTO FLAMES and starts SCREAMING. Obi-Wan watches in horror, as Anakin, engulfed in flames, struggles to climb the embankment.

Obi-Wan can't watch anymore. He turns away. He picks up the nearest light saber (Anakin’s), places it on his belt, and starts climbing around the edge of the rock.

EXT. MUSTAFAR - MINUTES LATER

Obi-Wan staggers over rocky ground, away from the lava and fumes. But it is too late. He is gasping for breath. He collapses. He is dying. But then . . . a lifeline. A thick line with grappling hooks lands in front of him. He sees it and grabs hold of it with both hands.

R2-D2, sitting on smooth ground nearby, the line having shot out of his mid-section, starts pulling Obi-Wan to safety. C-3PO approaches.

C-3PO
Oh, my! It’s Master Kenobi!

R2 BEEPS.

C-3PO (cont’d)
Hurry, Artoo. Let’s put him in the ship with Lady Padmé and leave this dreadful place!
SamR is offline   you may: