View Single Post
Old 12-02-2006, 09:32 PM   #7
SamR
Rookie

EXT. MUSTAFAR - VOLCANO EDGE - NIGHT

What is left of Anakin crawls up the bank, his body smoking. There is the SOUND OF THRUSTERS, as a shuttle flies overhead and lands.

EXT. LANDING PLATFORM - CONTINUOUS

An Imperial Shuttle closes its wings and settles on the highest platform. A PLATOON OF CLONE TROOPERS exits the craft, followed by Darth Sidious.

EXT. MUSTAFAR - VOLCANO PIT – MINUTES LATER

Darth Sidious discovers what remains of Anakin and checks him out.

DARTH SIDIOUS
Anakin! Anakin!
(amazed)
He's still alive.
(to the Clones)
Get a medical capsule, immediately.

CLONE CAPTAIN
Yes, sir. Right away.

Several of the Clones rush off, as Sidious puts his hand on Anakin's forehead.

INT. ALDERAAN STARCRUISER – BRIDGE – SPACE - SAME TIME

The Captain and crew work, as Yoda stands in the middle of the bridge, holding his head in intense pain. Bail approaches Yoda.

BAIL
Where are they? Can you sense them?

YODA
I sense . . . suffering . . . terrible suffering.

BAIL
Who is it? Can you tell?

YODA
Beyond my reach, young Skywalker has gone. Him, it is not . . .
(MORE)

YODA (cont’d)
Obi-Wan, it is . . . and someone with him . . . Near death, both of them are.

BAIL
(alarmed)
Where?! Can you tell where?!

With an anguished expression, Yoda looks out the window, raises his hand slowly, and points. Bail kneels down next to Yoda and looks at where he’s pointing.

BAIL (cont’d)
They are between Mustafar . . . and Polis Massa . . . probably headed for Polis Massa.
(stands)
Captain, we’re going there also! Maximum speed!

INT. ALDERAAN STARCRUISER – GUEST QUARTERS – MINUTES LATER

The door slides open, and Yoda enters, using his gimer stick more than usual. He stops and looks at something o.s. in astonishment. It’s like he’s seeing a ghost.

INT. POLIS MASSA - MEDICAL CENTER – REHAB ROOM – NIGHT

Obi-Wan wakes up in a bed. He looks around then Removes the oxygen mask that has been placed on his face. The burns on his face and hands have started to heal, but still look painful. He raises up to the edge of the bed and tries to stand. A MEDICAL DROID enters.

MEDICAL DROID
You shouldn’t be out of bed yet.

OBI-WAN
I must see Padmé. How is she?

INT. MEDICAL CENTER - OPERATING THEATER – OBSERVATION ROOM - MINUTES LATER

The Medical Droid helps Obi-Wan to the window, where Bail and Yoda are waiting.

BAIL
Master Kenobi.

YODA
Good to see you conscious, it is.

Obi-Wan looks through the window. Inside, POLIS MEDICS work on Padmé, who lies on the operating table. She turns her head and looks sadly at Obi-Wan.

MEDICAL DROID
Her injuries were severe, but she should be recovering. For reasons we can’t explain, we’re losing her.

OBI-WAN
She's dying?

MEDICAL DROID
Her midi-chlorians aren’t responding to treatment. It’s as though she has lost the will to live. We need to operate quickly, if we are to save the babies.

YODA
Save them, we must. They are our last hope.

Obi-Wan looks at Yoda then turns to Bail.

OBI-WAN
Has Padmé been told anything about what happened to Anakin?

BAIL
I told her I didn’t know.

OBI-WAN
Good . . . This time, we’ll keep it that way.

INT. CORUSCANT - IMPERIAL REHAB CENTER – DAY

It may be day on Coruscant, but the lighting in the rehab center is darker than in the Polis Massa medical center, and equipment in the b.g. emits gases. Anakin, still conscious, is lifted from the medical capsule onto an operating table. He CRIES OUT in agony. DROIDS go to work on him, giving him new legs and a new arm.

INT. POLIS MASSA - MEDICAL CENTER – OPERATING THEATER - SAME TIME

The twins are being delivered as Bail, Yoda, R2-D2 and C-3PO watch from the observation room. Obi-Wan is in the operating room with Padmé. He takes her hand. There is blood on it.

OBI-WAN
Don't give up, Padmé.

Padmé winces from the pain. The Medical Droid is holding the PREMATURE BABY.

MEDICAL DROID
It's a boy.

PADMÉ
Luke . . .

Padmé can only offer up a faint smile. She struggles to touch LUKE on the forehead.

MOMENTS LATER

The Medical Droid holds ANOTHER PREMATURE BABY.

MEDICAL DROID
. . . and a girl.

PADMÉ
Leia . . .

She gives LEIA a good, long look. Leia opens her eyes slightly and looks back.

INT. CORUSCANT - IMPERIAL REHAB CENTER - DAY

DARTH VADER, dressed in his black body armor, lies on the table. Nose plugs are inserted and the mask drops from above, sealing tightly. The helmet is fitted, and Vader begins BREATHING.

INT. POLIS MASSA - MEDICAL CENTER – OPERATING THEATER - SAME TIME

Padmé’s clothes and hands are bloody. The medics have given up on her, but Obi-Wan has not. Distraught, he leans over Padmé and softly speaks to her.

OBI-WAN
Padmé, hang on. Save your energy.

PADMÉ
I can't . . .

OBI-WAN
You must. Your children need you.

PADMÉ
Now, they need you . . . They’re safer . . . without me.

OBI-WAN
They’ll be stronger with you. We won’t let the Emperor take them. I promise you that. We’ll hide you.

PADMÉ (cont’d)
You can’t . . . for long enough . . . It’s too late . . . for me.

OBI-WAN
No, Padmé, don’t say that! Don’t give up! You mustn’t give up!

Obi-Wan is in tears. Padmé fights back the pain enough to study him.

OBI-WAN (cont’d)
Don’t give up, Padmé.

Padmé looks at him with understanding.

PADMÉ
No . . . you don’t give up.

She winces again and takes Obi-Wan’s hand. Her other hand grasps Anakin’s japor snippet.

PADMÉ (cont’d)
Obi-Wan . . . there is good . . . in Anakin . . . I know there is . . . There is good . . . in him . . . still . . . Someday . . .

A last GASP, and she dies. Obi-Wan gazes at her for a moment then studies the necklace.

EXT. NABOO - ALDERAAN STARCRUISER – ATMOSPHERE - DAY

Bail Organa’s Starcruiser approaches the city of Theed.

INT. ALDERAAN STARCRUISER - CONFERENCE ROOM

Seated at the conference table, his burns partially healed, Obi-Wan looks like he has just been through the most traumatic experience of his life. Yoda sits next to him, listening to Bail who sits across from them.

BAIL
Senator Mothma has resigned, and more then twenty other Senators, and hundreds of supporters, have left with her for parts unknown. The rebellion that Senator Amidala called for is already beginning.

YODA
(indicates himself and Obi-Wan)
Like them, disappear, we will, until the time most needed we are . . . when the twins are grown.

OBI-WAN
Master Yoda, do you think Anakin’s and Padmé’s twins will be able to defeat the Emperor?

YODA
Strong the Force runs, in the Skywalker line. In the Amidala line too, sensed it, I have. Hope, we can.

BAIL
My wife and I can take the girl. We've always talked of adopting a baby girl. She will be loved with us, and she should be safe. Alderaan is peaceful. Even if the Emperor considers me a traitor, I doubt he’ll attack our planet, or its royal family, on my account.

OBI-WAN
I can take the boy to his relatives on Tatooine. I’ll stay hidden away, and watch over him . . . It’s the least I can do.

Yoda looks at Obi-Wan with concern then back at Bail.

YODA
Done, it is.

INT. ALDERAAN STARCRUISER – HALLWAY – A MINUTE LATER

Bail approaches Captain Antilles and two of his crew, who are waiting with R2-D2 and C-3PO.

BAIL
Captain Antilles, I’m placing the two Droids in your care. Treat them well. Clean them up. Have the Protocol Droid's mind wiped.

CAPTAIN ANTILLES
Yes, Your Highness.

C-3PO
Oh, no.

INT. CONFERENCE ROOM – SAME TIME

Obi-Wan gets up slowly to leave.

YODA
(partly to himself)
Poorly, I may have counseled young Skywalker, to where attachments it came. Insensitive, I was. Advantage, did the Sith take. More to learn, there is.
(to Obi-Wan)
You, I understand now, Obi-Wan. Alone, you feel, yet alone you are not.

OBI-WAN
(stops, half-heartedly)
Yes, yes, I know. The Force is with me.

YODA
And one who has returned, a great discovery having made. Just hours ago, came to me, Master Qui-Gon did.

Obi-Wan turns around in astonishment.

OBI-WAN
Master Qui-Gon . . . But . . . That’s not possible. I was there, when he died. His consciousness dispersed in the Force. I felt it.

YODA
Whole again, it has become, using the Force.

OBI-WAN
(frightened, suspicious)
Which side?

Yoda hops off his seat and approaches Obi-Wan.

YODA
The secret of the Ancient Order of the Whills, he studied. A state acquired through compassion, not greed, it is. To become one with the Force, and influence still have . . . A power greater than any Sith can ever imagine, it is. Train us, Qui-Gon will, in how this to achieve.

This lifts Obi-Wan’s spirits.

INT. CORUSCANT - IMPERIAL REHAB CENTER - DAY

Darth Sidious paces around the periphery of the group of Medical Droids who are putting the finishing touches on Darth Vader. A Droid approaches the Dark Lord.

MEDICAL DROID
My Lord, the construction is finished . . . He lives.

DARTH SIDIOUS
Good. Good.

The Droid moves back to the table where Vader lies. The table begins to move upright. Sidious moves in next to Vader.

DARTH SIDIOUS (cont’d)
Lord Vader, can you hear me?

Darth Vader, with his dark mask and helmet, moves up into the frame.

DARTH VADER
Yes, My Master.
(looks around)
Where is Padmé? Is she safe? Is she all right?

Darth Sidious moves closer to the half Droid/half man.

DARTH SIDIOUS
Oh, I'm afraid she died.

DARTH VADER
Died?! . . . H . . . how?!

DARTH SIDIOUS
It would appear that, in your anger, you killed her.

A LOW GROAN emanates from Vader's mask. Everything in the room begins to IMPLODE, including some of the Droids. Gas ERUPTS from BURSTING equipment.

DARTH VADER
I couldn't have! She was alive! I felt her! She was alive! It's impossible!! NOOOOOO!!!

SCREAMING, Vader breaks his bonds to the table, and steps forward, waving his hands, causing objects to fly around the room. Sidious deflects the objects, but the remaining Droids aren't so lucky. Vader’s SCREAMS of anguish ECHO throughout the Center. Sidious looks on with an evil smile.

EXT. NABOO - MAIN SQUARE - DAWN

SIO BIBBLE walks with OTHER MOURNERS. LARGE CROWDS line the street, as a flowered, closed coffin is drawn by SIX BEAUTIFUL WHITE BEASTS. SOLDIERS, FAMILY and DIGNITARIES follow the casket. With them are Ellé and Moteé (looking like torture survivors), Captain Typho, the QUEEN OF NABOO (about 15 years old) and JAR JAR BINKS.

INT. COFFIN – SAME TIME

Padmé’s body appears to still be pregnant. Her hand clutches the japor snippet.

EXT. DAGOBAH – ATMOSPHERE - DAY

A small escape pod hurls toward the swamp planet and disappears in the mist.

EXT. DAGOBAH – SURFACE - DAY

The pod has landed, and Yoda descends the ramp, surveying the unfamiliar terrain.

EXT. IMPERIAL STAR DESTROYER - SPACE

A Star Destroyer is surrounded by Attack Cruisers.

INT. IMPERIAL STAR DESTROYER – BRIDGE

Emperor Sidious is standing with GOVERNOR TARKIN.
Darth Vader walks along the bridge to join them. Vader crosses his arms, as they look out the window at the huge frame structure, which is the beginning of the Death Star.

EXT. ALDERAAN STARCRUISER - SPACE

The ship approaches the surface of Alderaan.

EXT. ALDERAAN - LATE AFTERNOON

The QUEEN OF ALDERAAN sits on a balcony, looking out over the awesome mountains of Alderaan. Bail brings the baby Leia to her. The Queen takes Leia and rocks her lovingly.

EXT. TATOOINE - SUNSET

Obi-Wan, his burns healed, rides to the moisture farm homestead on an EOPIE. He dismounts, takes the baby Luke out of a papoose on his back, and walks toward AUNT BERU, who walks over to greet him. They talk for a moment, then Obi-Wan turns the baby over to the young homesteader.

Aunt Beru walks to UNCLE OWEN who is standing on the ridge near the homestead. Obi-Wan leaves, as Owen, Beru and Luke watch the twin suns set.

FADE OUT.

THE END

AFTERWORD

A Possible Alternate Ending for “Return of the Jedi”

George Lucas has twice changed the ending of Return of the Jedi, first adding victory celebrations across the galaxy, then changing the appearance of Anakin’s consciousness form, which appears alongside those of Obi-Wan and Yoda. So, why not take it one step further? Obi-Wan and Yoda learned from Qui-Gon how “to become one with the Force, and influence still have,” but Anakin did not. He certainly didn’t learn it from Emperor Sidious, since “a state acquired through compassion, not greed, it is.” So, Anakin must have been able to do it on his own, through a combination of being as strong as he is with the Force and his final act of compassion.

Padmé wasn’t a trained Jedi. However, in this revision, she was sensitive enough to the Force to be affected by its changes, had extensive knowledge of it through her Senate committee’s oversight of the Jedi, and seemed even to have picked up a subtle technique or two of theirs. So, the combination of her actions in this story with the events in Return of the Jedi, which prove her right about both the Rebellion and Anakin, might enable Padmé to return in consciousness form to be with Anakin once again.

So, in the final scene, where Luke sees Obi-Wan and Yoda, and then Anakin, Anakin would hold out his hand, and Padmé would appear and take it. When Leia, who up till now hasn’t paid any attention to the ghosts, comes to get Luke to join in the victory celebration, she would stop as she recognizes her mother. (She says earlier in Jedi that she remembers her.) The parents’ wordless expressions to their children would communicate that they are very proud of them and wish them to carry on. Luke and Leia would then go and join the others, who are celebrating the end of the Empire and the beginning of whatever new adventures lie ahead.
SamR is offline   you may: