View Single Post
Old 12-03-2006, 05:29 PM   #55
JasraLantill
No One Liners

Current Game: SWOTR
The Walking Carpets Guild Member Alderaan News Holopics contributor LFN Staff Member Roleplayer 
Beryl hesitated, but the look on Ryshana's face remained serious, and after a moment, she uttered a reluctant sigh. "All right. Fine." She looked at the deck. "Six," she said with a shrug.

Ryshana flipped it over. Six.

Okay, that was just luck, Beryl thought. I mean, six is sort of a middle-of-the-road card, right?

Ryshana nodded for her to continue with the next card. "Four," said Beryl, with little thought. Ryshana again turned it over. It was a four.

Beryl proceeded to 'guess' the next ten cards—two, eight, three, five, seven, four, two, one, ten, six. She didn't get any of them wrong. And she began to get concerned that maybe Ryshana was right about her.

"Oh, this is silly,” Beryl said dismissively. “You’re doing some sort of trick, aren’t you? Like the ones magicians do at kids’ parties and the like.”

But when she got the next ten cards right, she began to get nervous, almost to the point of panic. Maybe, Ryshana was right.

“Ok, I admit I knew I was Force Sensitive,” Beryl confessed in a low, but nervous tone. “Jedi even asked my father if they could take me when I was really young, but he refused. Three times, or so I was told. But Force Sensitive… it’s just a label, right? It doesn’t mean I’m a Force ‘user’, like Cloud. That’s different, isn’t it? I mean, sure, I know I have the ‘potential’ to use ‘The Force’, or whatever it is, but without training, without actually using it… I mean, I’m not even sure if I believe in it! The stuff I’ve seen you do—like mind tricks on guards, or opening doors with a wave of your hand, or those high-flying acrobatic jumps—that’s the Force. Not,” she waved a dismissive hand at the cards on the table, “this—predicting cards, or reaching for tools, or…” Her brow wrinkled, and she averted her gaze. “That’s just luck, or co-ordination, or skill…not the Force. It's not," she said firmly.

But Beryl was now feeling very worried. Her mind raced back to the day she and the other had encountered Lord Vader, and his words to her. “You’re not a Jedi, but yet…"

“It can't be." She shifted uncomfortably, and averted her eyes. "’Cause if it is, if what you're saying is true, that would mean that I’ve been using it for years. Without even knowing it. And with the Empire seemingly breathing down our necks all the time, that’s a dangerous position to be in." She paused a beat. "I’ve heard stories about what the Empire does when they find a Force Sensitive. Horrible stories. And even worse ones for those who are 'users.'”

Without looking up, she continued. “I’m sorry I lied to you,” she said solemnly. “So, I might as well tell you… I got these holovids from Jana,” she confessed. “Vids with Jana, as a little girl, and Reibe, only she calls herself ‘Arabelle’ in them. Reibe kind of explains Force stuff, you know, like how to mask yourself from others, read people’s feelings, telekinesis....” At this she snorted. “Which I’m total crap at, by the way. I can’t even move a salt pot more than a couple of wobbly centimetres. I’ve tried.” Her expression suddenly grew dark. “I only watched those vids to see if I could mask myself from other…people. The telekinesis stuff just looked like something fun to try, you know? Obviously, I’m not very good job at either of them.”

She looked up and met Ryshana’s eyes. “The things you say I do…. I don’t know ‘how’ I do them. I just…do them. I can’t control it. I can’t stop it.” She shook her head. “Ryshana, what I am I supposed to do?”

Veni, Vidi, Velcro. (I came, I saw, I stuck around)