Thread: Global Warming
View Single Post
Old 12-12-2006, 10:38 PM   #27
Dagobahn Eagle
First Strike Tester

Current Game: First Strike
Quote:
[...] The more energy we have, the greater our overall productivity. With the extra productivity we can focus more on technological research, which would facilitate the development of a solution(s) to the global warming issue.
Yes, but the more global warming, the more extreme weather and rising waters, which translate into more deaths, more people being made homeless, and more people turned into refugees. It's a very, very high price to pay.

Also keep in mind that much of the Co2-emissions is unnecessary. There are people driving cars alone to work and school when they could've taken the bus or at the very least taken a passenger or two. There are people, me included, taking unnecessarily long showers. There are people who leave their TV on standby at night when it'd save hundreds of gigatonnes if "everyone" just shut it off. I could go on and on. Most of us simply don't gain anything monetarily for wasting energy this way. The oil business might, and the power plants might, but the Average Joe certainly does not.

Not to mention that the long lines caused by the individuals who drive cars alone to and from work and school are essentially wastes of time. Nobody gets much done while they are stuck in lines during rush hour, whereas if they took the bus, subway, or other collective transportation alternative, not to mention if they simply walked or rode a bike, you'd save yourself and whoever expected you time.

Of course, there are people who just cannot for the life of them be arsed into parking their cars and get on buses, and I understand them. I think the level of certain peoples' persistence is best illustrated by this friend of mine whose mom and house were lost in a mud-slide during exceptionally heavy rains last September. One year after, her family of three owns as many cars. She drives to and from school (30 min' drive) every day even though she could perfectly well have taken the bus. In short - if a natural disaster causing you to lose a parent doesn't make you learn, then... what's it going to take?

windu6: No offense, but Al Gore explains the "Conveyor" better than you do. I'll post a link when YouTube allows searching again.

Related: Charlie Rose with Al Gore.

Last edited by Dagobahn Eagle; 12-12-2006 at 11:03 PM.
Dagobahn Eagle is offline   you may: quote & reply,