View Single Post
Old 12-13-2006, 12:21 AM   #28
Tyrion
nothing is real

Location: no one I think is in my tree, I mean it must be high or low
LF Jester Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagobahn Eagle
Yes, but the more global warming, the more extreme weather and rising waters, which translate into more deaths, more people being made homeless, and more people turned into refugees. It's a very, very high price to pay.
The hard part is analyzing the data and determining whether the cost of increased human pollution would offset the advances we would make. For instance, determining how much worse off the weather is than it was two hundred years ago.

Quote:
Also keep in mind that much of the Co2-emissions is unnecessary. There are people driving cars alone to work and school when they could've taken the bus or at the very least taken a passenger or two. There are people, me included, taking unnecessarily long showers. There are people who leave their TV on standby at night when it'd save hundreds of gigatonnes if "everyone" just shut it off. I could go on and on. Most of us simply don't gain anything monetarily for wasting energy this way. The oil business might, and the power plants might, but the Average Joe certainly does not.
That's something different altogether, as you would have to deal with breaking the notion ingrained in society that your own contributions won't matter in the big picture. The decision to turn off or leave on my television means **** to the environment, but it takes a couple million of such decisions in order to make a difference. I concur, though, that the effort to help alleviate pollution problems begins at home.

Quote:
Not to mention that the long lines caused by the individuals who drive cars alone to and from work and school are essentially wastes of time. Nobody gets much done while they are stuck in lines during rush hour, whereas if they took the bus, subway, or other collective transportation alternative, not to mention if they simply walked or rode a bike, you'd save yourself and whoever expected you time.
I'm not sure how it is in Norway, but here in America self-transportation is nearly a necessity; most people work around a good 10-25 miles from home if they live in suburbs, a very large portion of the population. You'd only have to look at how many highways we have in the country(particularly, Southern California) to see how necessary cars are; it's not a matter of convenience for most.

Quote:
Of course, there are people who just cannot for the life of them be arsed into parking their cars and get on buses, and I understand them. I think the level of certain peoples' persistence is best illustrated by this friend of mine whose mom and house were lost in a mud-slide during exceptionally heavy rains last September. One year after, her family of three owns as many cars. She drives to and from school (30 min' drive) every day even though she could perfectly well have taken the bus. In short - if a natural disaster causing you to lose a parent doesn't make you learn, then... what's it going to take?
I'm not sure if I understand your point here. Are you describing how your friend drives a car regularly, contributing to the pollution problem, and remarking on how it was that sort of activity which had worsened the storm that had killed her mother? I would remind you, then, that rainstorms and mudslides have been happening in terrible force since long before we discovered combustion.

Tyrion is offline   you may: quote & reply,