Thread: Global Warming
View Single Post
Old 12-13-2006, 01:35 AM   #29
Dagobahn Eagle
First Strike Tester

Current Game: First Strike
Quote:
The hard part is analyzing the data and determining whether the cost of increased human pollution would offset the advances we would make. For instance, determining how much worse off the weather is than it was two hundred years ago.
And the answer is that it's far, far worse. It doesn't take more than looking out your window.

We're not talking minor changes here. We're talking enormous changes. There's no way we'll be better off by polluting more and more, as we are now.

Quote:
That's something different altogether, as you would have to deal with breaking the notion ingrained in society that your own contributions won't matter in the big picture. The decision to turn off or leave on my television means **** to the environment, but it takes a couple million of such decisions in order to make a difference. I concur, though, that the effort to help alleviate pollution problems begins at home.
Definetly, and it'd make a huge difference.

Quote:
I'm not sure how it is in Norway, but here in America self-transportation is nearly a necessity; most people work around a good 10-25 miles from home if they live in suburbs, a very large portion of the population. You'd only have to look at how many highways we have in the country(particularly, Southern California) to see how necessary cars are; it's not a matter of convenience for most.
But it is to many. It's also a matter of lack of public transportation caused by a lack of interest in it.

Quote:
I'm not sure if I understand your point here. Are you describing how your friend drives a car regularly, contributing to the pollution problem, and remarking on how it was that sort of activity which had worsened the storm that had killed her mother? I would remind you, then, that rainstorms and mudslides have been happening in terrible force since long before we discovered combustion.
The severity of the weather in Norway the last few years are definitely a new phenomenon, as it the heat. And, of course, so is mud-slides, which happen very rarely here.

An inconvenient truth shows a graph that goes 650 000 years back, from oxygen extracted from deep within glaciers. It does a very good job at showing how the Co2-level has been rising lately and how temperature have always been correlating to Co2-level (yes, they can measure temperatures this way, too).

The extreme weather and heat waves are not normal. Global warming is a reality, and the current "heat wave" in the "heat-ice age-heat"-cycle is far warmer and far longer than the previous ones.

An inconvenient truth is a worthwhile watch. It's not perfect (the director had the movie focus too much on Al Gore for my taste - and for that matter for Al Gore's own taste), but it's a fantastic movie. You'll be surprised by how many of his claims can be proven and how it's proven.

Last edited by Dagobahn Eagle; 12-13-2006 at 01:46 AM.
Dagobahn Eagle is offline   you may: quote & reply,