Thread: Why Atheism?
View Single Post
Old 12-15-2006, 01:46 PM   #83
Jae Onasi
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem

Current Game: Guild Wars 2, VtMB, TOR
Alderaan News Holopics contributor Helpful! LucasCast staff Veteran Fan Fic Author 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinWalker
Spider Al,
. But regardless of whether Nancy or Jae are convinced by your arguments, there will always be those that lurk and never post who are truly undecided, and it might be your words that convince them one way or the other.
And, believe it or not, I'm willing to entertain the idea that I could be wrong and there's nothing out there. (Humor mode on: don't have a heart attack at that. I can't do electronic CPR. ). At this point, though, if I'm wrong, then I die, then pffft, that's it, and I had a few delusions during life. It's not going to alter my decision to try to make my life and the lives of those around me better. Christ's example of love for humanity is going to continue to be inspirational and relevent whether or not I believe, and some of the practical life tips in Proverbs will still be practical, and prayer/meditation/time of contemplation will still have the benefits that come with sitting down and tuning out our over-busy society for a short time to think of other things besides ourselves. So the underpinnings of those actions, be it humanism or faith, aren't as important at that point. If I'm right, then Heaven awaits at some point, but that doesn't negate the need to treasure life here as if there was no afterlife. Life is too precious to be squandered, regardless of religious belief or lack thereof.

You know, the idea of reverse proselytizing just weirds my brain out, but at this point I also badly need a nap, fwiw.

From MST3K's spoof of "Hercules Unchained"--heard as Roman medic soldiers carry off an unconscious Greek Hercules on a 1950's Army green canvas stretcher: "Hi, we're IX-I-I. Did somebody dial IX-I-I?"

Read The Adventures of Jolee Bindo and see the amazing Peep Surgery
Story WIP: The Dragonfighters
My blog: Confessions of a Geeky Mom--Latest post: Security Alerts!
Love Star Trek AND gaming? Check out Lotus Fleet.

Jae Onasi is offline   you may: quote & reply,