Thread: Jolee knew how?
View Single Post
Old 12-22-2006, 05:03 PM   #39
Emperor Devon
36 Wings, 365 Eyes
 
Emperor Devon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 5,479
Current Game: Ass Effect
Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
Quote:
Originally Posted by S_W_LeGenD
What makes you say that Revan himself never participated in battles? He was not a common commander or something. He was a powerful Jedi Knight and was not afraid of any one.
If you can tell me how Revan could manage a war when he's spending all his time at the front lines, I'd love to hear it.

One guy manging to kill several platoons of soldiers in one battle won't make much of a difference at all, whereas having good tacticians will. In WW II, for example, Stalin had the largest army on the face of the planet to throw against the Germans. Due to how he'd killed about 90% of the generals and memebers of the High Command, though, he ended up nearly losing the war and only managed to prevail because of Russia's harsh winter and some oversights on the part of the Germans. Generals who stay safely inside war rooms are the ones who truly determine how a war goes - not the soldier who has the highest kill count at the end of a battle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_W_LeGenD
Revan was very famous for killing Mandalore - The Ultimate by himself in a single battle. What you have to say about this then?
That Mandalore the Ultimate was a strong warrior, and the strategic decision was to send the most capable Jedi to eliminate him. Assassinating the enemy's leader would deal a huge blow to them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_W_LeGenD
And this also shows that Revan actively participated in Combat operations whenever necessary, and not just commanded the Republic Forces.
That's only one example, and the only strategic one. If you can name any other specific instances, I'd love to hear them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_W_LeGenD
Why is this so difficult to understand?
Because I've seen no specific details of these pitched battles Malak has fought in. For all I know, he could've fought 100 men singlehandedly (in which case he would have lost) or he could've led a charge against 1,000 Mandalorians with 2,000 Republic troops. The reason that statement isn't very useful is because it's completely open to interpretation - if, for instance, a general asks his subordinate what the casulaties in a battle where and he gets told "We lost a lot of men, but so did they!" is that going to be very helpful? Of course not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_W_LeGenD
Much more stronger then an average wookiee is more accurate term. Jedi have precognition and telekinetic abilities. And these things give them massive edge over other individuals.
Much stronger, a lot stronger, however you'd like to put it. In this case, though, it's 'strong, but not supermen'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_W_LeGenD
Experienced Jedi can easily deflect blaster fire with Light Sabers.
A lightsaber looks to be several feet in length, and can be moved around fairly quickly. How can such a weapon deflect 100 blaster bolts that are a foot or so long, coming from all directions? It doesn't matter how quick Revan and Malak's reflexes are, it would by physically impossible for them to deflect all that fire at once.

In any case, 100 enemies would be more than sufficient. Obi-Wan and Anakin were nearly killed when they fought 96, (Clone Wars, Volume 7) and only survived because they were able to run away. If 100 couldn't do it, how many people would it take to kill Revan and Malak, then?

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_W_LeGenD
And you are making a one sided scenario in which wookiees will fire and Jedi will not do their best to defeat them,
I have stated no such thing. Where was it I stated that they wouldn't try at all?

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_W_LeGenD
And Revan proved on Star Forge, that he is capable enough to fight against heavy odds and prevail.
At the maximum, Revan fights ten or so enemies at once with two other allies to help him. So that means each of them would have to kill three people and one extra one in order to prevail.

Oh, there are far more than then enemies, but the key difference lies in how they are not all fought at once. That makes a big difference in how the course of a battle can go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_W_LeGenD
Respect is one thing but their were hardly any devoted wookiee followers of Jolee.
Followers? They would pray to him at him point. Given how he's been doing them favors for twenty or so years, I think it's quite believable they'd be willing to give one back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_W_LeGenD
We have noted this when we visit shadowlands. Czerka men openly killed wookiees where-ever they wanted to and yet Jolee hardly fought against them.
Because it wasn't his job to do that. Killing two men is one thing, but singlehandedly stopping a planetwide slaving operation is another, and quite impossible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_W_LeGenD
So it is highly unlikely that Jolee can organize such a large gathering to fight for him and that too against very powerful Sith Lords, who will pose a much greater threat to them then Czerka men.
Any halfway decent community would be willing to one favor for a person who's been helping them for twenty years. Since they'd have such overwhelming odds as well, it wouldn't be a great risk to them either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_W_LeGenD
Also it is obvious that Revan and Malak would have met many wookiees in their visit to Kashyyyk. And no wookiee offered resistance or if some of them really did then they got pawned.
Source?

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_W_LeGenD
You are just stating your opinion, which is not true.
Oh, so The One actually does say the specific number of warriors he sent out to kill Revan? Can you tell me how many?

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_W_LeGenD
It is time for you to get over this or play KOTOR again to verify the facts yourself.
I'll spend my spare time as I see fit, thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_W_LeGenD
Of-course! Revan and Malak were not exempt from laws of nature
Good. Knowing and being familiar with the terrain is a huge advantage. Let's take a look at a real life instance: America decided to invade Vietnam. We had more troops, better equiped troops, and better trained troops. As you know, the US lost that war. Why? Other than domestic trouble at home, the Vietnamese had grown up and knew the land they were fighting in. The American troops did not. While they could be wandering through unfamiliar jungles, the Vietnamese people had lived there for centuries. Knowing the terrain is a huge advantage, which I doubt you'll argue against.

@Vaelastraz, I never said a squad. A squad usually has 8 to 12 men, whereas several platoons, which I did say, has 100 at the minimum.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretooth
We will be great failures one day, you and I
Emperor Devon is offline   you may: quote & reply,