View Single Post
Old 12-30-2006, 06:47 PM   #10
Samuel Dravis

Quote:
Originally Posted by windu6
Well, the best any of us can do at the moment is to assume, since we can't leave this damn planet and explore the universe to find out any still unknown mysteries that we can't figure out by remaining in only one perspective.
You can assume things based on evidence that is available to you at the moment. If there's no evidence, then your assumption is just a guess, hardly to be relied on. Why not treat it like that?

Quote:
Also, since it maybe the case of possible infinite realities, becacuse of the absurdity of a ultimate beginning to everything any of us can imagine out there, it will be foolhardy to assume that ridiculous ideas are false because we and I mean everybody in our civilization on this planet.
Because we don't observe or find evidence for it here on this planet, which is still again, our only perspective at the moment.
I will change my perspective when there is reason to. Also, I don't say that your ideas were false (I don't know enough to make that assumption); they are just not based on anything observable. When I see sufficient evidence for (whatever) I will believe that it exists.

Quote:
For you to be skeptical of everything, then that is your thing, Samuel.

Well, if you talking about existence then, yes.
How about this:

If there is an infinite universe, and there are infinite aliens, then there must be aliens who have come here. Do I see any aliens outside? Are there any accurate reports of aliens? No, I don't see them, and there are no accurate reports. So, can you tell me why don't I see any aliens?

(this is called the Fermi Paradox, by the way)

Quote:
You got jokes, huh?
Well, because I believe in aliens I'm crazy?
Then so be it, because I be damn I'm going to believe we are the only ones in this galaxy.
Until, someone go out there and search every nook and cranny of the Milky Way.
I don't think you're crazy. For you to believe that there may be aliens is reasonable. For you to say that there's any reason to base decisions on that right now is not true. I'm not basing my decisions on the existence or non-existance of aliens until they show up. It's the same thing for everything else, including the topic of this thread.

"Words are deeds." - Wittgenstein
Samuel Dravis is offline   you may: quote & reply,