Thread: Viewlocking..
View Single Post
Old 01-04-2007, 05:12 PM   #18
Maxstate
I forgot.... what?

@ post number 15:
I am not in the mood of starting an argument that'll go on forever.
Everything is open to discussion. It's not immediately solved or done with when you say so. I will handle some things further down this post.

@ Razor
I've decided not to push this idea if noone wants it, but I'll tell you that it'll cause problems later. Not like it's your problem anymore

@JackBaldy #17
Do you ever do research when you post something?
As far as I can remember the forcefield thing was set up to deal with specific bugs or problems that were up around the time the saber system was still infantile.
Something like it would now be superfluous.

I don't think anyone here has the right to say when someone can or can not use a certain strategy if that strategy does not involve bugs.
Who am I to say that someone shouldn't be able to run away from a duel? Who am I to say that someone shouldn't be able to use his surroundings, run and hide from me if he needs to regenerate.

It is ofcourse very irritating I can agree, but we shouldn't be rule out all the possibilities in the game that make a player unique. All the dynamics that can be used.

Surely if we were so good to beat them once, we can do it again? But is this the point even? We get points for the duel, not the kill which makes for even more reason not to care about runners.

I'm sorry in advance for the ad hominem, but it seems to me the only reason you want people to be unable to flee is because your tactics utilize upclose sabering and transition-shortening which require your opponent to be close.

Moreso, your argument about Dooku is flawed.
Anakin uses Djem-So. Djem-So is the overpowering, brute strength form. He didn't need to get close up but it was the only way he could make quick work of Dooku's fast legwork and extremely precise parries. I'll even take your example and give you another one: Ep3 Anakin versus Obi Wan, when Anakin's saber and body are pushing up against Obi with such force that he curls him down in a saberlock. The same one that killed Dooku but it didn't kill Obi-Wan.

Players are already punished enough for running if you ask me. Once we balance out Absorb and make sure that Force powers become useful again, runners won't be much to deal with.
I'll make you happy right now and tell you that Ensi has been working on a sprint type Force Speed which (if I understand right) is almost done or done already.
Combined with a tweaked Absorb, I don't think we'll have problems with catching up with runners.

I'd also like to adress the "icy feeling". Again I'll point to the case I made 3-4 paragraphs above. I am not out to remove viewlocking in it's completeness, but players should not be restricted in movement even if in a duel. There is no reason for a Jedi to all of a sudden be locked up with his opponent if he parries a saber attack..

You want me to give movie examples too? I'll try not to pick the ones that can be dissected:
Obi wan/Qui versus Maul - ep1:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4tyDXsK5jM

Clearly showing movement, crouches, ducks and jumps while parrying and slashing.
The part from 1:37 for example?

Obi wan vs Darth Vader: (at 22 seconds and on)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZpUL01tv3E

Even in the old trilogy, they moved while they were sabering, and most of the people doing it were as old as the sun.

Darth Vader vs Luke: (1:06 and on)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZpUL01tv3E

Same thing.

Anakin vs Dooku (0:48 and on)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWFwAzVvleI

Same....

Do I need to continue?

So it's in the movies, it's realistic, it's in every saber system I've played with..... why not?

Personal reasons? Give me a break, there was loads of stuff I hated to see go and also loads of things I hated to see come in but I've sucked it up too.

--

That's the only thing I found that actually made sense or was worth arguing about.

Maxstate is offline   you may: quote & reply,