View Single Post
Old 01-04-2007, 06:31 PM   #20
Maxstate
I forgot.... what?

Cool Guy

Not this again...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackBaldy
I guess I must emphasize on the statement, 'if I recall correctly'. Anyways, I am pretty sure others and myself suggested there be something to stop people from getting close so easily.
Mhm.

Quote:
Using your same logic. Who is to say that people shouldn't be able to jump
around like in basejka for elusive tactics? Who is to say that there should be even any penalties on running for people who want to run 24/7 like in basejka? Who is to say that the jump kicks from JO or Japlus shouldn't be in the game because they constitute as some sort of strategy? In my opinion that logic does not stand at all.
Sorry, not the same thing.
I'm still talking within the boundaries of what we call "OJP".

Insert new coin

Quote:
Of course in the movies they moved while fighting. But in the movies no where did I see a moment where a Jedi/Sith was able to run in so close without having lethal consequences. Come back to me when you are able to make a mod that has fluid combat exactly like in the movies. I am pretty sure it is near impossible to do it within the quake 3 engine and it is best to put in some features that may emulate the feel of the movies. Also another thing, now that we are bringing up the movies, the combat movement in the movies is not exactly running speed in O.J.P. nor the walking speed in O.J.P. I would have loved to see Quigon hurting and then quickly just running away in DoTF. Same with Dooku.
Who said I wanted OJP to be an exact movieclone, or that I want an exact and perfect movielike sabersystem? Not me lol.

Qui-gon and Dooku were both on a mission, it wasn't a battlefield like that with which we are presented with in OJP. For them it was either fight or die.
Furthermore, I was referring to them being very mobile while in combat. Since when does that translate to "running away" ?

Insert new coin

Quote:
I can easily run away while in low dodge points and low force points for a very long while. Somehow that does not translate into running being punished enough. Force powers were rarely used in saber fights, and I don't believe I ever saw a specific moment when force powers were used to catch a runner. And the sprint type power is nice and all, but it would also be available to the runner. Along with bunny hopping which was never removed and is definitely not movie realistic material.
Objection, calls for speculation they would say in an American courtroom drama show (I've watched far too many...).

1: I've proven to you ingame that that isn't as easy as you thought it would be if the opponent expects it.

2: One could argue that burst of speed and Force jump were used in all the episodes. And if you stop playing naive for a second you can figure that out on your own. Direct or non-direct, force powers are force powers, in the movies we don't see someone's afterblur behind them when they use the Force to sprint however.

3: But if the runner has enough Force points to use it, you haven't quite weakened them well enough have you? Maybe you've just gotten a few potshots at an unsuspecting bypasser that didn't touch you and now want to finish the job but he won't let you? First, if you have attacked your opponent enough to warrant a kill then I don't think he'll be left with a lot of FP.
Second, using Force Speed will not only drain a starting amount of FP, but it will also open you up to other force powers, reducing your protection against them.

You speculate so well, why not use your magnificent power to predict these obvious counters?

4: Bunnyhopping? Great.. more what-if's..

Quote:
I would love to see a video of that to analyze it.
I would like to see a video proving that the upclose-attack of Anakin was a critical hit and not just a killing blow. Do you really think Dooku would make such an error if Anakin hadn't drained him out already? Jeez..

Quote:
If this is a reply to my 'personally' comments, what I mean by that is personal preference.

Example:

Kick: That is open for discussion, although I agree that kick really is not where I would like it to be personally.

Kick: That is open for discussion, although I really do not think kick is where it should be in my opinion.

Have fun.

*edit*
I don't really have fun doing this, you're a big source of frustration for me whenever I visit these forums.

Quote:
Right, of course. /sarcasm
Anyways, no it is not. I have been saying this for a very long time, even when transitions weren't as easy to do as they are now. I find it hard to believe that you have not figured out my standing on this, and give out a false reason to intend to insult me. My stand on the matter: I do not think it is fair for anyone to be able to easily run away without any consequences. In MBII, in Base Jedi Academy, and even in Japlus, you lose health. That is a sort of consequence, as for in O.J.P., you lose dodge points which can recover, and force points as well. Basically, no real consequences to running away in O.J.P., which is not really movie realistic, otherwise we wouldn't really see a lot of sabering deaths in the movies if they had the ability to run away so easily.
Darth maul runs away from Qui and Obi and could've kept running without any damage.... twice. Dooku flees from Yoda, etc. etc.

How am I insulting you? I just gave my opinion (like you did? OMG!) on why I think you still want viewlocking and clashing in. Should I lie to myself and pretend as if I'm dumb?

Heck, you still play MovieBattles, I don't think you really care about "the icy feeling"...

Have fun countering, I don't think I'll reply again due to sheer laughing sprees.

Maxstate is offline   you may: quote & reply,