View Single Post
Old 01-05-2007, 12:59 AM   #17
Samuel Dravis

Quote:
Originally Posted by windu6
I'm not asking my assumption to be relied on, I'm just going to believe this until or if I'm proven wrong.
Why? There's more interesting things to believe in, such as furry monsters under the bed that disappear whenever someone looks for them.

Perfectly plausible - I mean, no one's ever seen one (obviously they can't because they disappear) but everyone's heard about them. Why should anyone object to someone's belief in them? Would you think someone who told you that this monster exists was strange? A little off their rocker? If so, why?

Would you tell them they're wrong when they try to get "In the Furry Monster we trust" on your coinage? At what point is it you say "enough"? What do you do when the leader of your country says he consulted this fuzzball when considering starting a war? Would you consider that perfectly rational behavior?

Quote:
Well, how do you observe infinity, there is no perspective to reach and observe from.
How do you observe infinite evidence?
My argument is, our existence don't make no damn sense; by continuing looking from or continuing trying to look from a infinite perspective.
Every finite creation idea us humans put forward, always have to explain every previous creator of this creator of this ultimate beginning of this finite creation idea, in infinite regression.
The idea something always existed or came from nothing, don't satisfy me, I don't like nothing.
You're still taking a position on that. That's not necessary; there isn't enough information to say what happened with any certainty better than a guess. "I don't know" doesn't mean you think that the universe existed forever by itself. It means you really don't know and are not taking any position without reasonable evidence to suggest that it is correct. If you can't live with that kind of uncertaintly then this, and other problems like it, are most likely going to plague you for the rest of your life.

Quote:
It may surprise you, but I actually haven't seen no UFOS, even though I'm a UFO nut( I'm not saying you are calling me one, but some people do called me one.)
Or, neither have I been abducted by aliens, but if I were I probably won't be coming back here; the chance to explore the Milky Way(If they don't turn out to be evil, of course) is what I want to do now, but I'm not smart enough yet, or these so called "geniuses" on this planet aren't smart enough or brave enough(stop being close-minded to strange ideas of interstellar travel) to make this dream of mine's, happen right NOW.
And all I'm saying is that so far, progress in the way of understanding has never been advanced by stating that an unknown factor is responsible for any given effect. You can say, "Aliens/God/Leprechauns did this", but does that really help you understand anything? Does it really make sense to create "explanations" that don't actually explain the phenomena?

I suggest that it doesn't. A scientist won't discover a hyperdrive by testing out every random guess (at least not very quickly anyway ), people's futures won't be accurately foretold by an astrologer, and people's belief in things that don't have any evidence behind them will still be futile, however devout that belief.

"Words are deeds." - Wittgenstein

Last edited by Samuel Dravis; 01-05-2007 at 01:09 AM.
Samuel Dravis is offline   you may: quote & reply,