View Single Post
Old 01-05-2007, 06:28 PM   #23
Samuel Dravis

Quote:
Originally Posted by windu6
Asking me a question about a Furry Monster, or whatever the hell you are talking about is ridiculous to me.
And I asked why it was rediculous. What makes the idea rediculous?

Quote:
Are you talking about aliens, well if you don't believe because you don't have no evidence, then I can't help there.

Well, I don't know of your success rate with other people, but it is not going to work with me, I always keep a open-mind, even if questions are ridiculous to me.
I suggest that having an 'open mind' also means that you are ready to reject propositions as well as accept new ones. An openminded person would need to consider every idea, argument and claim based on merit. I submit that anyone who will believe in anything regardless of lack of evidence etc, are not, in fact, openminded - they are instead credulous. Anyone who refuses to drop a belief when there is zero evidence for it is not acting rationally. That's all there is to it.

Quote:
Heh, don't give me that bulls*t, Samuel, they can't keep secrets.
C'mon, if no one could keep secrets(D-Day invasion plans) the Nazis will be ruling the world now.
Much to learn you still have.
Is it a bit harder to keep a secret for 50 years? How about doing that for hundreds, if not thousands, of people?

Quote:
Don't want to listen!
What the hell you think I have been doing all this time.
If you aren't willing to be convinced, then. That is true closemindedness. Skepticism doesn't mean you reject everything; it simply means you don't hold unjustified beliefs. If that means rejecting some beliefs that you currently hold, then that must be done if you want to retain your rational integrity.

"Words are deeds." - Wittgenstein
Samuel Dravis is offline   you may: quote & reply,