View Single Post
Old 01-12-2007, 12:43 PM   #15
Jae Onasi
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem

Current Game: Guild Wars 2, VtMB, TOR
Alderaan News Holopics contributor Helpful! LucasCast staff Veteran Fan Fic Author 
Yeah, the effect of the AIDS/HIV epidemic is horrendous in Africa. 2 million died in '05, I would not be surprised to see the numbers go up for '06. AMREF estimated about 65% of the world's HIV/AIDS population lives in sub-Saharan Africa. Two million _children_ in Africa have HIV/AIDS, and some 12 million were orphaned in '05 by losing one or both parents to the disease. Only about 10% of Africans infected had access to HIV treatment, and the life expectancy in some African countries has plummeted to the '30's and 40's. Estimated life expectancy without AIDS would be in the 60's. Tuberculosis has skyrocketed because of co-morbidity with HIV.

Our church supports a missionary doctor who works in Cameroon--she's reported a significant increase in AIDS in her hospital in the last couple of years. It's taxing the hospital's resources, and she's seeing more mothers and children with HIV as well as more orphans.

Definitely not a positive picture on the medical front in Africa.

From MST3K's spoof of "Hercules Unchained"--heard as Roman medic soldiers carry off an unconscious Greek Hercules on a 1950's Army green canvas stretcher: "Hi, we're IX-I-I. Did somebody dial IX-I-I?"

Read The Adventures of Jolee Bindo and see the amazing Peep Surgery
Story WIP: The Dragonfighters
My blog: Confessions of a Geeky Mom--Latest post: Security Alerts!
Love Star Trek AND gaming? Check out Lotus Fleet.

Jae Onasi is offline   you may: quote & reply,