Thread: The Ninth Year
View Single Post
Old 02-01-2007, 08:49 AM   #19
Tveir
Lurker

Now, I've known of this community for quite a while - after all, mixnmojo is, and sort of always was, the place on the net as far as Lucasarts Adventuregames goes. I never got around to joining. I'm not sure why. Perhaps I just never felt like it. I would read the site, I hung at Lucasfans a great deal too, but I avoided the forums. That's a different story though. I have joined now, but a week after becoming 21 on the 21st in the 21st century. Fate perhaps?

In any case, back in '98 I was a fairly hardcore scandinavian freeware player. You know those days, the dawn of the internet basically. We were still figuring out what it was to be used for and many a person started coming up with new ways to use the web to spread their artistic visions to the world. I was rather deeply into Brainchild Design, Jump 'n' Bump in particular, but also Sumo Hoppers, Liero and the like. You know, simple, DOS-based freeware.

I was also twelve years old and a swede. I had learned English in school for about two years, at a fairly slow pace, so I was still sorely lacking in the English language.

My best friend at the time, one with whom I was united by good taste, basically forced a gamedisc on me one day. He hadn't really done that before. Not that I could remember. I looked at it. Some skull-figure. I knew my friend was somewhat into the whole pirate-deal, so I figured it might have something to do with that. I asked him when I should bring it back, half expecting to be bored with it by tomorrow. He tells me I need not return it until I am done with it. Fine. I go home. I install the game. It did not take long before I was begging him for disc two.

As soon as I'd beaten the game I saved up what money I could save and bought the game, then I beat it again. Then I played through it to get proper saves at the right places. Then I kept playing from those spots, depending on what I felt like seeing at the time. I also tracked down any Lucasarts Adventure I could find, quickly falling for the Monkey Island series in particular.

I still hold up Grim Fandango as the greatest game of its age, perhaps the greatest game ever of its genre, and my favourite game of all time.

It has influenced me on so many levels I cannot begin to describe it.

It truly is a testament to what can be done with a game.

It is something that should be brought to the masses and something that should be known. It deserves to be acknowledged, like many other great works of fiction, for the greatness that it is. Perhaps even more so, with the still present struggle for electronic games to gain recognition as an artform.

Grim Fandango is an inspiration and so it shall remain.

For as long as we live it shall never be forgotten.

. . . . . .
Tveir is offline   you may: quote & reply,