View Single Post
Old 02-04-2007, 01:31 PM   #10
edlib
Close to the Edge

Current Game: DiRT 3; Forza 4
10 year veteran! Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by windu6
Well, I don't have that trouble, you must live in California.
Boston. I haven't personally encountered many problems on that front myself...

But every year I see that there's some power brownouts or rolling blackouts in some part of the most technologically advanced and prosperous nation in the history of the planet when the temp gets up there for a sustained period of time.

Well, all I can say is that I hope you are right and I am wrong about this,.. but I'd still be cautious about getting my hopes up. We are having problems enough keeping a sustained human presence in close orbit, let alone on the nearest satellites and planets to us. That stuff should be hopelessly simplistic compared to what you are talking about.

Leaving the solar system seems a very long way off to me. Even if we can theoretically pull it off with technologies and resources we have today, I just don't see how it is possible to do it practically with the state of things as the are at the moment. And I don't expect many of those things to change any time soon...

The fact that many of the particles and forces outlined in the proposal you posted are still strictly theoretical also makes me think we may still have a ways to go.

I'm hardly an expert on the math of this stuff, but I am pretty familiar with the popular works of Hawking, Michael Greene, and Michio Kaku (I am currently in the process of re-reading his book "Hyperspace"...) who are leading experts in some of this stuff, and none of them have ever given me the impression that they believe that we will see practical uses of any of these ideas in our immediate future.

There may very well be different schools of thought in the overall physics community on this matter, but personally I'm gonna place my bets with what the generally accepted leaders in the field seem to think.

Native XWA.Netter (Nutter?)
edlib is online now   you may: quote & reply,