View Single Post
Old 02-04-2007, 02:28 PM   #13
Windu Chi
Banned

Cool Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrion
It's not as simple as that. Most of our economy is built on how cheaply gasoline can be procured, produced, and sold with such availability; there's nothing else that really competes with it. Nuclear energy has hazards of its own, more so if things go really wrong. The other major alternatives like ethanol fuels tend to impact the environment just as much as or even more so than oil while being all the less efficient.
You must support oil companies; no environment no economy, got it.

Quote:
No, poverty will exist as long as materials stay limited. Money isn't a cause of the problem, it's an effect.
Until someone does a experiment taking money out of the system, we will just have to see who's right.

Quote:
He's saying that we should probably focus on our ills before we spread them to other planets.
If our society keep complaining about our ills, then we won't ever spread to other planets.

Quote:
People in prehistoric times could usually only predict their next meal to within a day or so, and yet they had no currency to speak of. What money does is it lets civilization remove the strict bartering system of "this for that" and replace it with the ultimately better system of "this for anything I wish".
Prehistoric! I'm talking about the times such as the anicent Romans

Quote:
Nah, it could be solved, or at least alleviated, with more research being spent on increasing agricultural efficiency instead of, oh, interstellar engines.
That is just lazy talk, if the environment dies we die, how more clearly do I have to explain that to you, Tyrion.
There will be no agricultural efficiency, if farm lands don't exist no more.
Windu Chi is offline   you may: quote & reply,