View Single Post
Old 02-05-2007, 05:58 AM   #22
Windu Chi
Banned

Cool Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by edlib
More like broke and focused on other societal problems (hard to colonize the stars when engaged in expensive wars overseas.)
I was refering to the whole planet not just America.

Quote:
But did we really have the tech to colonize the moon back then?
Do we have it now?
Well, since United States government don't tell all it's secrets.
Who knows?
Quote:
For human beings to live somewhere you need a constant and renewable oxygen, food, and water supply, as well as sanitary waste removal.
Duh !
Quote:
Were we ever truly capable of terraforming the Moon in that way in the 60's, 70's,.. or even today?
Yes, if the world was working together back then.
Quote:
at least at a cost that anybody would be willing to pay for it.
Yes, at the cost, money, that sh*t is a major hinderance to any profound progress of our society, as I have said before.
Quote:
How many gallons of water does the average human require in a year (and that's for drinking, bathing, cleaning, and the growing of vegetables and supplying the needs of possible livestock of some sort)? Calculate that, then multiply it for the amount of people in your colony, and the period of time you are planning on being there. (Permanent? Then factor in population growth...)
You will have to bring that water with you. Even with calculating waste-water reclamation technology, that's a very, very large and heavy payload to get all the way to the Moon.
Same goes for oxygen. And the soil for hydroponic gardens. And all the food it would take to sustain human life until the gardens are constructed and the first crops are grown. (And exactly what is the process of storing all this stuff and growing crops in a low gravity environment?) Then all the construction materials for the surface pods to contain this stuff in.
Look, I don't give damn about lunar or Mars colonization, I'm more interested in Milky Way colonization; I was giving an example, that we need to speed things up.

Quote:
I honestly don't believe we could have ever pulled that kind of activity at any point in the last 30 years. I have my doubts about doing it even in today's day and age.
Because you have that "it will take a long time" belief, so you will always feel that way about the creation of profound technologies like a Hyperdrive engine.
Windu Chi is offline   you may: quote & reply,