View Single Post
Old 02-15-2007, 09:15 AM   #24
Jae Onasi
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem

Current Game: Guild Wars 2, VtMB, TOR
Alderaan News Holopics contributor Helpful! LucasCast staff Veteran Fan Fic Author 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiderAl
In the UK, Tot, people do have to do something to receive unemployment pay. They have to produce evidence that they've been actively seeking work to a reasonable degree, and that they have pursued employers and have accepted any and all job-offers that have come their way. As far as I've been able to find out, this is similar to the US system.
They do have to do something along that line and have to report in periodically to let the unemployment office know what's going on.

What do people on welfare in the UK, other countries, and the rest of the US have to do? IN Wisconsin, they developed a program nicknamed 'Workfare', where those who are receiving state assistance have to be in a job or looking for a job after a certain period of time in order to continue to receive benefits, and I believe there's a time limit to benefits. In Illinois, I believe there is no time limit, and I'm not sure if there's a work requirement as part of the program or not. Food stamps and medical care are separate programs from this.

I could find some contrived way to bring this back to the original topic, but I'm too tired this morning to be that creative.

From MST3K's spoof of "Hercules Unchained"--heard as Roman medic soldiers carry off an unconscious Greek Hercules on a 1950's Army green canvas stretcher: "Hi, we're IX-I-I. Did somebody dial IX-I-I?"

Read The Adventures of Jolee Bindo and see the amazing Peep Surgery
Story WIP: The Dragonfighters
My blog: Confessions of a Geeky Mom--Latest post: Security Alerts!
Love Star Trek AND gaming? Check out Lotus Fleet.

Jae Onasi is offline   you may: quote & reply,