View Single Post
Old 03-07-2007, 11:00 PM   #13
Achilles
Dapper Chimp

Helpful! Veteran Modder Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy Allen``
Watching the video there's something else I have to say about modorate religion that I think was left out: modorate religion goes against what is said in scripture, in that everything that it says in there, to put to death all the nonbelievers, is how believers should be.
Mr. Harris didn't get a chance to touch on this too much in his clip, but he discusses it at length in Letter to a Christian Nation and The End of Faith. You and he (and I) are all in agreement but probably from differing ends of the spectrum.

Yes, moderates get it wrong. From a fundamentalist point of view, they aren't following the scriptures so they aren't really Believers. From a liberal point of view, they provide a sheild for fundamentalists, plus they don't follow the scriptures so they are kinda like pesky hypocrites. There needs to be a frank discussion about the nature of faith and the presense of moderates makes this kind of dialog very difficult.

Moderates feel that it's ok to pick and choose which tenets to live by. Fundies scoff at their willingness to cherry-pick and liberals are frustrated by their ability to completely miss the point of the debate (Harris does touch on this in the clip).

Quote:
However I think the question has to be asked whether or not there is action taken against religion and not only do we not allow freedom of speech by doing so we reap the bloody whirlwind that would come from taking action against people who have a right to religion, especially from those who are fundamentalist violent cases, or do we allow religion and work against the extreme cases who would commit acts such as bombing abortion clinics, hijacking planes and flying them into buildings, because their religion says that is what they have to do in order to be true believers?
Wow, that's one heck of a run-on sentence

You seem to be stuck on this concept of "action". No one is advocating that we start burning Christians at the stake (at least I don't think that's the case). No is saying that we need to rally and drive them out of the country. What most "activists" (I use the term loosely) do try to inspire is a sense of urgency about the issue (the one that most moderates seem oblivious too).

Yes, people have a Constitutional right to freedom of religion. No one is debating that. The people need to be educated about the facts, maybe spend a little bit of time visiting a place that we like to call "reality", and give up their strangle-hold on Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny, and God (aka The Flying Spaghetti Monster).

You might not think that this is a big deal, but then again, I think it's important to point out that you appear to be one of those moderate people that we keep talking about.

Quote:
What percentage have the common sense to be modorate?
I don't think being a Christian (Muslim/Jewish) moderate demonstrates a case of common sense at all. My 2 cents.
Achilles is offline   you may: quote & reply,