Dapper Chimp

Helpful! Veteran Modder Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy Allen``
Okay, it's left alone.
Thank you
Quote:
In terms of Bush saying that he's gone to war because God told him to, well sorry but that's a retarded thing for him to say.
God told me to invade Iraq, Bush tells Palestinian ministers

Quote:
Maybe he did, I dunno, but this indicates maybe some type of religious fanaticism or at the very least outright stupidity in using his religion to justify going to war.
Precisely.
What is your familiarity with Evangelical Christianity? Are you aware that Evangelical Christians believe that once Israel is returned to the Jews, Christ will return for Judgment Day? Considering that a majority of the policy makers in the Capital are Evangelical Christians, what impact do you think this has on little things like foreign policy, environmental issues, etc?

Are you starting to see why some people are very, very concerned about the amount of religiosity in the air?

Quote:
I mean ****'s sake isn't that what we condemn Islam of, going to war because of their religious beliefs?
I think the word you're looking for here is "hypocrisy". The fact that Christian extremists are waging war against Islamic extremist for the crime of being extremists would be funny if it weren't so scary. This isn't to say that I think Christian extremists would fly planes into civilian buildings. But I do think they would invade a foreign country under false pretenses to further their time line for The Rapture.

Quote:
Getting back to the video, I forgot to mention about the use of condoms being a consider a sin. What?
Contraception and Catholic Teaching
Quote:
Contraception negates the creative act of God. It also compromises the unity of the relationship between the marriage partners. For these two reasons, fundamentally, the Church teaches that contraception is disordered and morally wrong.
(emphasis mine)

This one is just slightly off-topic, but interesting nonetheless:
Mommie Dearest

Quote:
Well I supposed it says you're not allowed to have sex outside of marriage, and that presents another problem in that all these young unprepared couples are marrying as soon as they're allowed to so they can have sex.
Interesting point that I hadn't thought of before. Thanks for the insight.

Another way to look at it are all the families in Africa that are spreading AIDS within their families because they aren't using condoms (the WHO's recommended method for preventing transmission). Sex without condoms equals babies. Mommy with AIDS usually equals baby with AIDS. And since is culturally acceptable for husbands to have mistresses, a lot of other people outside the nuclear family are also at risk.

That's just Africa. We won't talk about India, Asia, or Latin America.

Quote:
In either case it's an issue that needs to be addressed. But getting around, finally, to you asking about the refrigerator-sized diamond, a large part of religion does have to do with faith. But I think there's a lot more to it than simply saying that they believe it.
Ok, like what?

Last edited by Achilles; 03-08-2007 at 02:15 AM. Reason: fixed tag
Achilles is offline   you may: quote & reply,