View Single Post
Old 04-17-2007, 05:03 AM   #62
Joshi
Registered Amuser

Location: Wherever the wind takes me... or failing that the nearest cinema.
LFN Staff Member 
Honestly, I say one thing and you manage to move off onto an entire tangent. It's expected on the MI boards, but I was hoping for a more focussed discussion here (oh who am I kidding). But really, I don't expect 18 year olds or younger who still live with their parents to have an overly elaborate Home Theatre setup. And whilst I don't generally meet girls at my home, I sure as hell don't pick them up at the nearest cinema...

Back on to topic.

Question to you all:

Where do you think technology will move to in this area? Specifically with how movies are distributed. You can already download fairly high quality (and I think HD) movies from places like iTunes and so on and with faster and faster connections becoming cheaper and cheaper for the home user, do you think it might be possible that once a nice balance has been made between a distributors standpoint and a consumers standpoint things like DVD's/HD-DVD or whatever will become obsolete? Or will there always be those (like myself) who prefer to have a physical representation of what they've bought?

And if it is the latter, where do you think technology will move to in terms of things like disk space, size, what they look like and so on. Do you think technology could move so far that we could get full High Definition movies with special feature and all on something the size of, say an SD card? Would we want to? And what about the players themselves? Exactly how big/small would they have to be and what new features could they have?

Discuss.

Joshi is offline   you may: quote & reply,