View Single Post
Old 05-07-2007, 05:29 PM   #2
SilentScope001
May The Force Serve You.

In a word, yes, but not just in writing.

For example, suppose you play Doom, without any story whatsoever. But you get to destroy evild emons. You receive a visceral thrill in that killing and that murdering of demons. If you even play Pac-Man, the music and the gameplay can excite you and make you quite, quite happy. Neither of those games have good storylines. But they have good gameplay.

And that is also part of artwork. Artwork serves to please, to excite, and to make happy, and you are pleased by a work of art that has an actual, hidden covert meaning or if you are pleased by superficial "Here's a gun, go kill stuff!" artwork has succeded regardless. It is supposed to make you feel happy, and now that you are happy, artwork has won! Why else are graphics considered one of the key elements in games after all?

What you are asking therefore, is not that should games be considered artwork, but rather, should games have great stories (which is a totally different question altogether)? I agree with you, which is why I posted that Experiment a long time ago to prove it. However, I do not think it is quite possible to prove that a storyline is better than gameplay. Unless we are able to conclusively prove (or at least fabricate) that storylines can attract more sales than mere gameplay, we will be stuck with bad storylines...but I don't think that is necessary at all to worry. Each gamer is different, after all. You may appeal to some gamers who love great storylines, but at the expense of getting other people to hate your story and see it as stupid. An example is that very same quote that was in that article in the begining. He saw it as the greatest thing ever that set the done...I saw it as, well, blah.

Commericalization of everything is a necessiaty, and in some cases, it tells you how succesful something is. You need this sort of tallies to figure stuff out. And the more popular a game is (since people have to pay for it, which takes a lot of their time), could that be the better the game actually is? Artwork serves to please after all...

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Onion
"The Cambodian government has established many exciting-sounding 're-education camps' where both intellectuals and everyday citizens can be sent at any time," Day said. Well, we at Barnes & Noble have always supported re-education in America, and we intend to extend this policy to our new customers." For every hardcover book sold, Barnes & Noble will donate a dollar to the Cambodian government to help re-educate local children.
Full Article Here
SilentScope001 is offline   you may: quote & reply,