View Single Post
Old 05-10-2007, 09:50 PM   #9
RedHawke
Shadow Lord Of The Sith™

Current Game: DDO, Stormreach
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jae Onasi
Yes, heaven forbid we have to do real math. I remember THAC0, but it was so long between college gaming and current gaming in any kind of real manner that I forgot most of it, except for some vague recollections of big reference tables....
There weren't any "tables" THACO was To Hit AC 0, so if you had a thaco of 10 then you would hit an ac of 1 on a 9, an ac of -1 on an 11... simple. Simpler on the GM as well since your players could tell you the ac they hit, IMO anyway. The DM/GM had all the 'tables'.

There was an RPG made about James Bond... now if you ever want to talk about an RPG with a bunch of tables.

Quote:
However, it's much easier for my kids to play with the current rules than it would have been with the old ones, and the game moves a little faster (always good with younger kids) so I don't gripe. They like moving the miniatures around more than adding the numbers on the dice to work up damage.
I never liked using miniatures... description only was always more fun, and with the correct 'atmosphere' in the room it could be epic.

Though there were always exceptions to this (like for major fights).

Quote:
I have to say I like the latest version of stat blocks much better than the old ones. If they didn't have them organized that way already, I'd probably have made my own with some kind of similar style.
They are the same stats as the old D&D?

If you mean the simplistic formulaic attribute bonuses (+1 for every 2 points past 10), that doesn't really work... it simplifies the game yes, but it makes it less by doing so.

Having a fighter with a Str of 20+ used to really mean something it was not commonplace (You would need an item, a divine 'gift', or have found and studied the 2 different stat tomes/mauals to do so)... now in D20 every fighter above level 8 easily has that.

Quote:
Do we have a D&D thread yet? If not, we should make one.
Looks like someone else agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jediphile
Oh, don't get me started. D20-bashing is a particular hobby-horse of mine.
Me too! We have something in common this is scary!

Quote:
Not that it's a particularly terrible system, but it was hopelessly outdated when it hit the streets and has NOTHING to do with the (A)D&D games.
I agree, though my dislike of the system stems from the destruction of the D6 Star Wars system to the crap that is the D20 Star Wars system.

The D20 system is an ok system for possibly trying to hook kids on the idea of playing RPG's, it is a simple-er game system to learn (I do know of some far simpler ones though that are good 'learner' games), but D20 will never be D&D for me. If I play (A)D&D it is Second Edition all the way.

To me D20 is 'the' game for the ADD Button-Mashing Console Kiddies, it is much more a short attention span game.

Quote:
Maybe I'm just an old-timer in this regard, but I've never been so swayed by the whole d20/3e thing.
Me neither. I think of 2Ed. with the "If it aint broke, don't fix it!" attitude, because the system sure isn't 'broke'.

Quote:
The worst part is really all the new feats/spells/classes they keep dreaming up in every new bloody supplement. That smells far too much like munchkin fanboy to me, and not in a good way either...
Agreed.

Quote:
Besides, you can't even get people enraged about D&D anymore. It was much better in the old days, when we were devilworshippers just for having tried that infernal game

"Beware the form-fitting black armor-clad Drow hottie with twin Mineral II Greensteel Khopeshes!"
"Liella d'Orien says, '"You're the fool, Devil. -- Witness the power of this fully ARMED and OPERATIONAL Titan!"'"
----------------------------------------------------------------------
RedHawke is offline   you may: quote & reply,