View Single Post
Old 05-15-2007, 11:21 AM   #18
Jae Onasi
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem
 
Jae Onasi's Avatar
 
Status: Super Moderator
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 10,916
Current Game: Guild Wars 2, VtMB, TOR
Alderaan News Holopics contributor Helpful! LucasCast staff Veteran Fan Fic Author 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jediphile
Heck, I'd give more xp than killing the monster would kill, since that's a greater challenge. Sometimes that means capturing the monster, which is definitely more difficult than just putting a sword in it.
Definitely. I've _never_ given xp for finding treasure--treasure is its own reward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jediphile
Instead I give out story goal awards. In short, if the PCs are able to achieve a goal, especially if they can do it well, then they get extra xp for that. And those xp are much, much larger than anything they can get for monster-slashing.
If I make up a home-brew I'll likely do that as well. For right now hack-and-slash is exciting for the kids, and works for them since their idea of politics at this point is making sure the cookies and milk are divvied up fairly. I love political intrigue and maneuvering and talking my way through something, but it wouldn't work for kids as young as ours. Hopefully when they're older we can start incorporating that (sneaky way to work in some education on different aspects of Real World political systems.... )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jediphile
If Vampire or Werewolf are too dark, then I recommend Exalted:

http://www.white-wolf.com/exalted/index.php
I'll check it out--our local gaming store has a White Wolf section, and my kids are starting to get into anime. Vampire's not too dark for me (I'm having a great time with VtMB), but I'm not ready to have my 9 year old considering how best to use larceny and stunt-driving skills.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jediphile
Of course, you could also do what I'm currently considering, which is running my existing D&D game world with GURPS Fantasy/Magic rules.
If I weren't running a published campaign and getting the rust out, I'd consider that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jediphile
Your point about xp for achievements instead of monster-slashing is my point out 3.Xe/d20 being "outdated". Most RPGs have long since abandoned the idea that good role-playing is based on hack 'n slash,
Well, it's kind of standard D&D, and people apparently want that, because they're buying the books. That's its personality and I expect lots of monster-killing and trap-disabling and dungeon-crawling in D&D. I can knock it for doing that in kind of dumb ways at times, but I can't knock it for being what it's always been, which is 'go on a quest, kill the bad monsters, find the treasure'. Monopoly can't be anything but Monopoly, and D&D can't be anything but D&D, either. No game system is ever going to be perfect, and I'm OK with some of the limitations, and other things I'll just adjust to our particular situation (how many parents play D&D with young kids? I'm sure they're out there, but so far I've only heard of us)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jediphile
And 3.Xe also insists on stupid and cumbersome rules like how spellcasters provoke attacks of opportunity if they cast spells near an enemy. That was not in there before.
Attacks of Opportunity and when to apply them is driving me crazy. I understand the idea behind it (even if you have initiative, if you're doing an action that takes a long time and the other guy's doing something that's quicker, he could still hit before you). However, implementing it into the game is a nightmare for those of us who haven't used it before, especially since Jimbo and I know how battles have run with the older rules. I've been trying to give it a fair trial because it could be a learning curve issue, i.e. once we're all more familiar with it and have more actions that provoke AoO memorized, things will go more quickly. I hate to throw something out just because it's not what I'm used to. Right now, though, all it's doing is slowing the fights way down while we consult tables in the PH and on the DM screen to figure out who can do what, when, and where. I also don't like having to adjudicate arguments on whether x action provokes an AoO or not if we can't find it on the tables right away (because the DM screen is missing a few things and we're tired of looking through books). The consensus right now is that it's a big pain in the butt and unnecessarily complicates a battle, and we're seriously considering throwing out AoO entirely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jediphile
Decent rules are no substitute for a good GM. Heck, a good GM can make any game work, no matter how stupid the rules are....And if you uber-Sith Lord is still aboard that stardestroyer when the rebels destroy it, then you're also dead - I don't care how powerful your character is or what force-powers he had!
Dead is dead.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jediphile
I still run a campaign on 2e rules, which we all agree are highly inflexible and inferior to most other rules out there. But it doesn't matter because the campaign works and the characters are interesting.
For all its faults, 3.5 has a huge number of resources available. Theoretically I could convert those things over to 2e (if I could even find my 2e book at this point), but I don't feel like working that hard. I just want to open up the books and play.


From MST3K's spoof of "Hercules Unchained"--heard as Roman medic soldiers carry off an unconscious Greek Hercules on a 1950's Army green canvas stretcher: "Hi, we're IX-I-I. Did somebody dial IX-I-I?"

Read The Adventures of Jolee Bindo and see the amazing Peep Surgery
Story WIP: The Dragonfighters
My blog: Confessions of a Geeky Mom--Latest post: Security Alerts!
Love Star Trek AND gaming? Check out Lotus Fleet.

Jae Onasi is offline   you may: quote & reply,