View Single Post
Old 05-15-2007, 01:46 PM   #19
Jediphile
Persona non grata

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jae Onasi
I'll check it out--our local gaming store has a White Wolf section, and my kids are starting to get into anime. Vampire's not too dark for me (I'm having a great time with VtMB), but I'm not ready to have my 9 year old considering how best to use larceny and stunt-driving skills.
Yes, with 9 year olds, that's definitely a consideration. I play exclusively with adult players these days (even if we do play 2e AD&D), so I have the luxury of adding far more complex material and deep plots to the games. Heck, we can go for several gaming sessions without ever having a fight or looking at a map... Yes, in AD&D

If your kids are getting into anime already, then they should love Exalted, though. Basically all players are Solars, returned demigods, who are seen as demons by the general population. Usually you can't see that, but if they use their specific powers (and Solars can hand the standard characters of Vampire or Werewolf their behinds...), then they can begin glowing like the sun and reveal their status as presumed "anathema". Half the game is keeping your true nature secret, but it depends a lot on how hostile you want to make the local population, of course. I do recommend you take a look though. It's great fun. And the rules even try to reward you for attempting wild, heroic actions by giving you extra dice to achieve success. I do miss playing it.

Quote:
Well, it's kind of standard D&D, and people apparently want that, because they're buying the books. That's its personality and I expect lots of monster-killing and trap-disabling and dungeon-crawling in D&D. I can knock it for doing that in kind of dumb ways at times, but I can't knock it for being what it's always been, which is 'go on a quest, kill the bad monsters, find the treasure'. Monopoly can't be anything but Monopoly, and D&D can't be anything but D&D, either. No game system is ever going to be perfect, and I'm OK with some of the limitations, and other things I'll just adjust to our particular situation (how many parents play D&D with young kids? I'm sure they're out there, but so far I've only heard of us)
Well, to me D&D is not merely monster-slashing and dungeoncrawls. To me it's just heroic fantasy. And the 3e rules are VERY different from the earlier editions in how everything is set up. I mean, multiclassed paladin/monk/sorceror dwarves are fine now. Huh?

Quote:
Attacks of Opportunity and when to apply them is driving me crazy. I understand the idea behind it (even if you have initiative, if you're doing an action that takes a long time and the other guy's doing something that's quicker, he could still hit before you). However, implementing it into the game is a nightmare for those of us who haven't used it before, especially since Jimbo and I know how battles have run with the older rules. I've been trying to give it a fair trial because it could be a learning curve issue, i.e. once we're all more familiar with it and have more actions that provoke AoO memorized, things will go more quickly. I hate to throw something out just because it's not what I'm used to. Right now, though, all it's doing is slowing the fights way down while we consult tables in the PH and on the DM screen to figure out who can do what, when, and where. I also don't like having to adjudicate arguments on whether x action provokes an AoO or not if we can't find it on the tables right away (because the DM screen is missing a few things and we're tired of looking through books). The consensus right now is that it's a big pain in the butt and unnecessarily complicates a battle, and we're seriously considering throwing out AoO entirely.
Can't blame you for that. Not sure I ever saw the point in it. I'm fine with the 2e way of doing things - if you're struck my someone, then your spell is gone. Period. Even if you took no damage. Simple and easy to use.

As for tables, I've encounter the problem of missing tables from the book myself, although in my case that was mostly because of my style. I find I can never play a game straight out of the box, because I need to make it fit my style first, which means house rules. For 2e Player Option rules I have a 100+ page Word document with revised critical hit tables, expanded proficiency lists, etc., which obviously aren't on the GM screen. However, I found other tables from the DMG missing from the screen...

Annoying, but there's a way around it that make work for you too. You see, as I found tables missing, I also found myself flipping through the DMG or PHB. Eventually I began making notes of which tables I always looked up. That gave me a list of what was missing. I then copied that to a piece of paper or typed it out (since I have the AD&D Core Rules v2.0 CD-ROM, that's pretty easy) and printed it. Then I used paperclips to put the extra papers over the DM screen. Works beautifully. I have to look under the clipped-on notes at times, but other than that it's all good. And my time spent looking in the books did not so much drop as plummet

Quote:
For all its faults, 3.5 has a huge number of resources available. Theoretically I could convert those things over to 2e (if I could even find my 2e book at this point), but I don't feel like working that hard. I just want to open up the books and play.
Ah well. Given my nature to make a game fit my style, that would never work for me. I've been considering GURPS, but there are things in there that I find a little simple as well... I've even planned my own RPG system, but it's on hold indefinitely because the combat system I'd want would take ages to write (not to mention, combat experience that I don't have...)

"It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built" - Kreia

Visit my KotOR blog at Deadly Forums.
Jediphile is offline   you may: quote & reply,