View Single Post
Old 05-15-2007, 02:53 PM   #20
Jae Onasi
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem

Current Game: Guild Wars 2, VtMB, TOR
Alderaan News Holopics contributor Helpful! LucasCast staff Veteran Fan Fic Author 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jediphile
Yes, with 9 year olds, that's definitely a consideration. I play exclusively with adult players these days (even if we do play 2e AD&D), so I have the luxury of adding far more complex material and deep plots to the games. Heck, we can go for several gaming sessions without ever having a fight or looking at a map... Yes, in AD&D
Oh, I'm not meaning to knock other versions of D&D. I was just pointing out 3e has its good points along with the annoying ones. It's kind of like martial arts--there's no martial art that's 'better' than another one--the 'best' one is the one that meets _your_ needs. If 2e works better for you and everyone's having fun, great.
Quote:
If your kids are getting into anime already, then they should love Exalted, though...And the rules even try to reward you for attempting wild, heroic actions by giving you extra dice to achieve success.
Heh, my son is really into the hero thing right now. Sounds like it'd be fun to GM too.

Quote:
Well, to me D&D is not merely monster-slashing and dungeoncrawls. To me it's just heroic fantasy. And the 3e rules are VERY different from the earlier editions in how everything is set up. I mean, multiclassed paladin/monk/sorceror dwarves are fine now. Huh?
I would exercise my Ultimate Powers as DM to disallow that particular character. There _are_ limits. As the kids mature I imagine the gaming style will also mature. I'd also like to have the home where our kids and their friends can game and stay out of trouble, and if it means playing 3e (or whatever incarnation happens in 5 years), I'm fine with that. We can adjust the rules to work for us. Of course, that'll mean the fridge is empty for a good 10 years....

The other thing is that we're within reasonable driving distance of GenCon, and I'd like to have a decent familiarity with the rules to possibly participate in a game or 2. My son actually asked me a few months ago if we could go. I was not expecting that out of a 9 year old.

Quote:
Can't blame you for that. Not sure I ever saw the point in it. I'm fine with the 2e way of doing things - if you're struck my someone, then your spell is gone. Period. Even if you took no damage. Simple and easy to use.
Yeah, that in particular always made better sense to me, though I can understand the concentration thing because I can concentrate well enough to tune out the world. Probably couldn't in the middle of a battle, though.

Quote:
For 2e Player Option rules I have a 100+ page Word document with revised critical hit tables, expanded proficiency lists, etc., which obviously aren't on the GM screen. However, I found other tables from the DMG missing from the screen... I then copied that to a piece of paper or typed it out (since I have the AD&D Core Rules v2.0 CD-ROM, that's pretty easy) and printed it. Then I used paperclips to put the extra papers over the DM screen. Works beautifully. I have to look under the clipped-on notes at times, but other than that it's all good. And my time spent looking in the books did not so much drop as plummet
I may get some excel spreadsheets for some of these tables and just keep it on my laptop and have that on the table with me. Anything to speed up gameplay and not have our noses stuck in books is A Good Thing. I have all the PCs, NPCs, and monster stats on 4x6 index cards and have a filebox to keep them all. I just photocopy the stat blocks out of the book and tape them on the card. Works really well during battles--no book flipping, and I can put everyone in initiative order easily. I have a 'counter' card to keep track of rounds that I put at the end of the stack--it's not seeing a lot of action right now since it's such a low-level game, but it'll get useful for keeping track of multiple spell effects later. I probably could do that on computer, too, but I like to handle my own character sheets like I like to roll my own dice.

Quote:
Ah well. Given my nature to make a game fit my style, that would never work for me.
Well, it doesn't mean we're slaves to the system, but it's easier to work within a game paradigm if you follow most of the rules. D&D has so many different things available that it's hard not to find something that will work most of the time, and we can add/subtract things as needed for the times when we decide that WotC must have been smoking something funny when they wrote a particular rule.

Quote:
I've even planned my own RPG system, but it's on hold indefinitely because the combat system I'd want would take ages to write (not to mention, combat experience that I don't have...)
Heh, Jimbo and I have been in a Renaissance group for 20 years. We've seen combat, or at least as close as anyone's going to get in a non-choreographed tourney or major battle (i.e. about 2000 on each side) using solid bamboo instead of real steel weapons so we don't kill each other on accident. We might be able to answer some of your combat questions, at least.

From MST3K's spoof of "Hercules Unchained"--heard as Roman medic soldiers carry off an unconscious Greek Hercules on a 1950's Army green canvas stretcher: "Hi, we're IX-I-I. Did somebody dial IX-I-I?"

Read The Adventures of Jolee Bindo and see the amazing Peep Surgery
Story WIP: The Dragonfighters
My blog: Confessions of a Geeky Mom--Latest post: Security Alerts!
Love Star Trek AND gaming? Check out Lotus Fleet.

Jae Onasi is offline   you may: quote & reply,