View Single Post
Old 05-28-2007, 01:01 PM   #75
Heavyarms
The Buckeye Maneater!!!

Location: America, the Land of the Free, and the Home of the Brave!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider AL
What, "stop the economic sanctions, stop the bombings and send large wads of cash to democratising organisations and pro-human rights groups within Iraq" Isn't specific enough for you? It's hardly a "generalisation". It's practically a blueprint.

As for your claim that it wouldn't have "realistically worked"... Sheer nonsense. Why wouldn't it have worked? There are many historical examples of oppressive regimes being overthrown through popular struggle throughout history. You've got the British being thrown out of India, Indonesia's overthrow of the horribly violent, US/UK supported Suharto regime... and many more.

So why wouldn't it work in Iraq? Do you have ANY reasons to back this claim up? At all?
So, if we hadn't done all that, you are saying that Saddam's regime would have fallen on its own? I doubt it. He was way too oppressive and cruel for people to try against it. We supported bad people, yes, and America is not a heaven saint like you're pretty adamant at saying.

There has not been a case of an extremely repressive regime and the people rebelling against him and it succeeding. Or at least I don't know of one off the top of my head. Trust me, the people would have been killed, much like Josef Stalin or Mao Zadong. Josef Stalin's regime didn't collapse until fifty years later and millions died, and that was after Gorbachev was a much weaker leader than Stalin. Look at North Korea. There's a case where his country has pretty much crippled itself, but they aren't getting rid of him. The Nazis weren't overthrown, either.

I understand your dislike of what we did during the cold war at times. I think we made some mistakes, including supporting Saddam. But we're responsible for what we've done, aren't we? And I think sanctions are appropriate tools to correct what we've done. I know why you dislike sanctions, and that's ebcause you believe they hurt the people and not the leader. They hurt the leader, trust me. They usually target items that the leaders want, such as weapons and high luxury goods (like the ones that have been placed on North Korea, as well as other ones). Humanitarian aid is given to the people.

Proud to be an American.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."-Edmund Burke
Heavyarms is offline   you may: quote & reply,