View Single Post
Old 06-04-2007, 02:18 PM   #15
stoffe
Network Caretaker

Helpful! 10 year veteran! Notable contributor 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cygnus Q'ol
Although I absolutely adore the sounds and music in this game, I find myself sometimes thinking of other songs and music that would fit in with the style this game takes on.

...at least in my head.
That's an advantage of playing the PC version, all you have to do is dump your MP3s in the proper folders and the game will automatically add them to the ambient/battle music rotation for that environment.

Quote:
On another note, I'm still trying to figure out this persuasion system. I've been spending too much coin on bribery. I'll keep trying until I figure it out, but, any helpful tips are greatly appreciated.
It's fairly simple once you get the hang of it, and not very realistic. There are four groups of things you may "say" to the NPC: Joke, Intimidate, Admire, Boast. Each NPC will love one, like one, dislike one and hate one of each (I think their likes/dislikes are randomly decided by the game, but stay the same if you return later). If you hover the mouse pointer (or its console equivalent) over each group quadrant in the Persuasion circle you can view from the facial expression the NPC makes what he feels about that particular group.

Unsurprisingly you gain/lose disposition with the NPC depending on how much they like/dislike what you say, and how filled the quadrant is when you click it.

For each persuasion round you must pick all four groups. So, you should try to pick the Loved and Liked group when that quadrant is as filled as possible, while you should pick the Disliked and Hated group when they are as empty as possible. Between each pick the persuasion circle will rotate, making each quadrant fill up differently.

When your persuasion skill gets high enough you get the option to rotate the persuasion circle once per persuasion round without picking anything, making the quadrants fill up differently, giving you another chance to get out of sticky situations like when the Disliked and Hated groups are full and the Liked and Loved groups are near-empty.

Since NPCs have notoriously short patience their Disposition will decrease steadily during a persuasion round, so you should be fairly quick at picking your choices as well (unless you want to lose Disposition so you can play the persuade game some more with that NPC to increase your Skill - Once you max out your Disposition with that NPC you can't persuade them any more).

Not a very realistic to emulate social interaction, but it can be worthwhile to increase your Disposition with NPCs, in particular merchants and quest givers, since you tend to get lower prices and more info/rewards if they like you. Some more violent NPCs won't attack you on sight either if your Disposition with them is high, which they might otherwise do (which might be good or bad, depending on what you want with them ). If you have high enough disposition with a Guard they might let you go if they catch you with a bounty on your head.

Quote:
Happy Birthday Stoffe
Thank you.
stoffe is offline   you may: quote & reply,