View Single Post
Old 06-16-2007, 03:08 AM   #85
SilentScope001
May The Force Serve You.

Quote:
An entire post relegated to comparing my post to an advocation for murder of sleeping people isn't designed to be easy to argue against?
What I was saying is that you said the term preceive.

Quote:
Perceive (Per*ceive") (?), v. t.
[imp. & p. p. Perceived (?); p. pr. & vb. n. Perceiving.]
[OF. percevoir, perceveir, L. percipere, perceptum; per (see Per-) + capere to take, receive. See Capacious, and cf. Perception.]

1. To obtain knowledge of through the senses; to receive impressions from by means of the bodily organs; to take cognizance of the existence, character, or identity of, by means of the senses; to see, hear, or feel; as, to perceive a distant ship; to perceive a discord. Reid.
2. To take intellectual cognizance of; to apprehend by the mind; to be convinced of by direct intuition; to note; to remark; to discern; to see; to understand. "Jesus perceived their wickedness." Matt. xxii. 18. "You may, fair lady, Perceive I speak sincerely." Shak. "Till we ourselves see it with our own eyes, and perceive it by our own understandings, we are still in the dark." Locke.
3. To be affected of influented by. [R.] "The upper regions of the air perceive the collection of the matter of tempests before the air here below." Bacon.
To preceive, you must be aware of your surrondings. I was not attempting to use a strawman, instead, I was stating that that definition of "life" is very strange to use, since we can lose our ability to preceive many times. Your definition seems to be a bit inaccurate, and I want to draw that out...It is a more of attempting to rebut your arguments by reducing it to the absurd.

You claim that it is all about nerological activity then, and that as long as you have a working brain, you preceive...So, I'll assume what you mean is that if you have an active brain, then that means that the person is "alive", in which case, it would be okay to terminate a child until he is 8 weeks old, because according to wikipedia, by the time a child is 8 week old, he has a brain, and since brains create neurons, the child would be alive by that time.

Quote:
8 weeks (condition at start of fetal stage). The risk of miscarriage decreases sharply at the beginning of the fetal stage.[5] At this point, all major structures, including hands, feet, head, brain, and other organs are present, but they continue to grow, develop, and become more functional.[6]
What I really want is just a consitent definition on what is living and what is not that the pro-lifers might agree with. I can provide one that would sastify you and me, but well, I don't like artibrary deadlines. I don't want doctors saying that, "I'm sorry, but you cannot abort this child. If you came in 24 hours ago, then we can abort the fetus, but since you diddly-daddled, the fetus is now offically alive, and therefore, I cannot terminate the fetus. Sorry."

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Onion
"The Cambodian government has established many exciting-sounding 're-education camps' where both intellectuals and everyday citizens can be sent at any time," Day said. Well, we at Barnes & Noble have always supported re-education in America, and we intend to extend this policy to our new customers." For every hardcover book sold, Barnes & Noble will donate a dollar to the Cambodian government to help re-educate local children.
Full Article Here
SilentScope001 is offline   you may: quote & reply,