Thread: let's resurrect
View Single Post
Old 07-06-2007, 04:57 PM   #159
Fealiks
NAMBLA member

I just couldn't handle the gradual downplay of realism and the obvious fact that the writers either hadn't come up with an ending or were still tinkering with ideas, the story got progressively more far fetched as new exciting twists and turns were being added and played around with. They should have quit while they were ahead.

Joshi, were the adverts in the States like that on all channels? I don't know how they could cope with that, it's bloody rude. I have to say that I too bought a pair of black Converse All Stars trainers after watching iRobot, although to be fair it was probably the work of other films too; In my experience, Converse All Stars are easily the most advertised shoe in films. I still love them, though. And how could they fit chewing gum into a game about being a secret agent? There is such a thing as going too far and making your film/game look cheap.
Having said that, I can't help but watch films with a lot of product placement in them and noticing a more true-to-life feeling, making me feel more at home. I know this is what they want. It's working. I don't care.

Edit:
Oh, and while we're on the subject, does anyone know whether product placement can exist in song form? I remember watching a film (although I can't remember which one) with that annoying Pizza Hut song in it. I can't remember the context but it may have gone with a scene set in [/i]McDonalds.[/i] I doubt that Kevin Smith would do such a thing, but I also wonder if Chewbacca (or whatever that song is called) was there for advertising reasons (the doubts for this in my mind are huge but I couldn't think of another example)...
Fealiks is offline   you may: quote & reply,