Thread: Fallout
View Single Post
Old 07-16-2007, 07:15 PM   #88
Grace
Forumite

Charlie stood frozen just inside the doorway, staring wide-eyed out at the desert in awe. The Vault had its fair share of wide open spaces, but this... Charlie blinked. Until today, her world had been comfortable, but this... this was so massive it blew her mind. She vaguely heard Roll say something relating to the direction they would be heading, but she was so startled by the contrast between the Vault and the world outside that she didn't move.

"I-I-I," she stammered as the technician who'd opened the door approached her. The rest of the group was already moving. "It's... I..."

"Go on," the tech urged. "They'll need you." He gave her a light shove and she staggered out of the Vault after the group. A brief moment of fear nearly made her turn back, but she forced herself to take a deep breath and keep moving. The tech was right; if any technology still worked out here, Charlie was the one who could make it work.

That thought made Charlie grin a little. In the Vault, though she was in charge of keeping software updated, there were others who could do the job. Out here, there would be no others. For the first time in her life, Charlie felt needed. And that was good. Her stride grew a little bolder and she hurried to catch up with Jason.

My story in progress: United We Stand - Divided We Fall

Please read and review
Grace is offline   you may: quote & reply,