View Single Post
Old 09-16-2007, 04:06 PM   #4
jackthorn
Rookie

Yeah, I've been trying to puzzle out how to use the LUA scripting, mapping, modeling, skinning, ODF editing, Particle Editor, Zero Editor, and Editlocalize functions for a year or so now. Lack of time paired with lack of understanding has impaired me. =/

Besides, I don't want to have to learn how to make the game myself in order to see changes -- that's what the people making Battlefront III are there for: to make the new game, so we don't have to do it ourselves. *shrug*

And I'll agree that the AI in BF2 are better than in BF1, but there's still lots of room for improvement. I still see them crash ships into mountains, walk right onto mines, refuse to take cover when there's obviously a sniper targeting them, etc. I don't find the Elite difficulty setting all that challenging, personally; and anyway, if they made Elite tougher, people who didn't like it could still play the easier settings.

I'm sure there are some who don't care one way or the other about getting the expanded commands back, and wouldn't use them; they, of course, can simply not use them. Personally, I found it immensely useful to be able to tell a few troopers to hold their position at a CP so that we didn't lose in two minutes after I went in and captured it, or to command stand-around troopers to move out. Or just simply the ability to issue the commands I WANT to issue, rather than just whichever one the game thinks would be best.

And finally, I tried that SaveGames file solution a long time ago, all that does is change the name that you see on the list of profiles to select. The name in the game is still the same as before you changed it -- the name that appears in multiplayer games over your head, the name that shows on the lists in-game, the name that shows onscreen in the corner when you make a kill, etc. So no go on that, but thanks for the idea -- I thought that would have worked too. =/

When it comes down to it, I think there's a difference between BF3 requests that can be solved by downloading a few mod maps, and BF3 requests that require learning how to mod and then doing all the work of modding (though I do very much hope to figure out how to mod fairly soon). And even with the BF3 requests that can be solved through getting some mod maps, I can see how people might just want to have them as a basic element of the new game -- for example, not wanting to only play as the 501st all the time.

Last edited by jackthorn; 09-16-2007 at 04:09 PM. Reason: emphasis
jackthorn is offline   you may: quote & reply,