View Single Post
Old 09-27-2007, 12:35 PM   #44
SilentScope001
May The Force Serve You.

Quote:
The definitions of the words we are using don't change during an argument, however. If a rock fits the definition of limestone, then it is limestone. If it doesn't, then it's simply not limestone. The definition of god is more interesting because monotheists generally regard a definition of him as including such terms as "omnipotent, omniscient" etc. If the entity being talked about did not fit these definitions, then it would not be God, whatever its other attributes may be. An entity that is so weak to be laughed at simply is not God, because that would contradict the definition. Were any theists to compromise on the matter and say that God isn't omnipotent - just VERY powerful - then they just wouldn't be talking about the same God anymore (and they'd have to start the argument over again). So yes, I would say that God either exists as it is defined - typically as that of the Christian god - or it does not, and to pick one side of this argument is still not extremism, nor is it a false dilemma.
Gotcha. So the question at hand is: "Does the Chrisitan God exist?" I know agnoists could just say: "I don't really know, maybe?", but that is due to a belief that they don't have all the facts to make a final choice, and they aren't really pushing for others to believe.

Alright, I can accept that definition. You win the argument yet again.

Quote:
When I say extremism I refer to condemning others for their views rather than making the paper for new Star Wars novels.
Sad to say, I think you need to condemn others for their views. Otherwise, how else can you force them to change their views...or at the very least, inform indepedents that the view is wrong and that you have to believe in the correct view? Views affect world views, views affect what people do, views can affect world government. If you believe that one view is wrong, then if they continue down that view, they could do incredibly stupid things. Condemnation, hatred is necessary to make sure the people see the "truth". "Extermism", or, more correctly, "intolerance", is popular presically because it works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Onion
"The Cambodian government has established many exciting-sounding 're-education camps' where both intellectuals and everyday citizens can be sent at any time," Day said. Well, we at Barnes & Noble have always supported re-education in America, and we intend to extend this policy to our new customers." For every hardcover book sold, Barnes & Noble will donate a dollar to the Cambodian government to help re-educate local children.
Full Article Here
SilentScope001 is offline   you may: quote & reply,