View Single Post
Old 10-01-2007, 01:54 AM   #59
Jae Onasi
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem

Current Game: Guild Wars 2, VtMB, TOR
Alderaan News Holopics contributor Helpful! LucasCast staff Veteran Fan Fic Author 
We're giving thanks to Squanto?

I don't buy revisionist history.
Yes, we should be grateful for the help he (and Samoset) provided the Pilgrims, but that's not why we have the holiday.

Try a primary historical source instead of wiki, like the 2 (and only 2 for the first Thanksgiving) primary sources from the first Thanksgiving.
Here's another discussion based on the primary documents. The first Thanksgiving they had a feast but they also gave thanks to God.

Also, try this site

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Washington's First Thanksgiving Proclamation
This historic proclamation was issued by George Washington during his first year as President. It sets aside Thursday, November 26 as "A Day of Publick Thanksgiving anf Prayer."

Signed by Washington on October 3, 1789 and entitled "General Thanksgiving," the decree appointed the day "to be observed by acknowledging with grateful hearts the many and signal favors of Almighty God."
Here's an article from the George Washington Papers held at the University of Virginia. Here's a transcription of his proclamation and a copy of the original handwritten document. Washington acknowledges that it's a day where one should give thanks to God.

Lincoln also made a proclamation setting Thanksgiving day as a holiday, and also specifically mentioned it was to give thanks to God.

Not once is there mention of the day being set aside to give thanks to Squanto. They were giving thanks to God for the harvest.

From MST3K's spoof of "Hercules Unchained"--heard as Roman medic soldiers carry off an unconscious Greek Hercules on a 1950's Army green canvas stretcher: "Hi, we're IX-I-I. Did somebody dial IX-I-I?"

Read The Adventures of Jolee Bindo and see the amazing Peep Surgery
Story WIP: The Dragonfighters
My blog: Confessions of a Geeky Mom--Latest post: Security Alerts!
Love Star Trek AND gaming? Check out Lotus Fleet.

Jae Onasi is offline   you may: quote & reply,