View Single Post
Old 10-02-2007, 10:05 PM   #136
Achilles
Dapper Chimp

Helpful! Veteran Modder Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy Allen''
Clearly we should be fighting against the evil that is religion. My question is how aggressive we must be. Is it simply a matter of breaking theists or is it more?
Erm...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Achilles
Clearly we should be fighting against questioning the evil irrational dogmatism that is religion. My question is how aggressive diligent we must be. Is it simply a matter of breaking theists promoting rational thinking or is it more?
I believe that we should be as diligent as we can. I mean, we are talking about our rights, and in some cases our lives, after all. We have the same rights to free speech as everyone else. If theists choose to voice their thoughts and opinions in a public forum, then we have the right to questions those thoughts an opinions just as they would have the right to question ours. The unfortunate thing about dogmatism however is that it's impervious to reason; the conclusion is foregone and unchangeable, therefore most attempts at reasoned discourse end poorly.

The good news is that simply refusing to be cowed by taboo might inspire others to speak out or cause those that haven't thought too much about it one way or the other to really question what it is that they believe. So even though you might never, ever get through to the fundie, you might still be able to reach someone. And once there are enough people willing to speak out against being governed by superstition and people that believe that they are in constant contact with their imaginary friends, then we might begin to see meaningful change.

Cheers.
Achilles is offline   you may: quote & reply,