View Single Post
Old 10-08-2007, 05:41 PM   #85
Jediphile
Persona non grata

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hipmonlee
Sure, you can argue that the Unknown regions were bigger at that time. What you can't argue, imo, is that the Old Sith space belonged to the older "Unknown regions". The republic visited Korriban more than once and cleansed several Sith worlds. The ancient sith empire is everything but "unknown".
The fact that the Republic knew little or nothing of Malachor belonging to the Sith Empire would seem to suggest otherwise - had they known, it seems pretty clear to me that Revan might have suspected the danger and not gone there (or at least taken precautions).

Obviously Korriban is known, yes, since that is where the Republic followed Naga Sadow to and ended the Great Hyperspace War, bringing about the fall of the Sith Empire. But is there any evidence of the Republic in the KotOR era knowing of Sith Empire worlds such as Ch'hodos, Rhelg, Khar Delba (and Khar Shian), Thule, or Ziost? Don't think so... And those are some of the more major ones.

Quote:
She was referring to some place beyond Malachor, imo. Malachor, as seen by the K2 map, borders the UR. Imo, she seemed to be suggesting that the exile should go "beyond" there.
That argument does not seem to me to fit well with the maps you based your argument earlier.

And would I be correct to assume you've abandoned the map argument after the maps conflicted on Hoth's position? Because it seemed to me that your argument that Old Sith space did not belong to the older "unknown regions" was based on that assumption...

Quote:
I'm not exactly sure what you mean by this. What we know about Malachor (both from the game and from the NEGP) tells us that it isn't part of the Old Sith empire as we know it.
Kreia: "You must go where Revan did, into the Unknown Regions, where the Sith, the true Sith, wait in the dark for the great war that comes. And he came because Malachor, like Korriban, lies on the fringes of the ancient Sith Empire, where the true Sith wait for us, in the dark.

I do believe my point is self-evident from that quote...

Quote:
Well, the devs were aiming for that, so I'm not sure either of us can anticipate whether it'd be unelegant or not.
I can tell whether I think it's elegant or not, which is what I did. Retconning is generally not what I would consider elegant. It can be necessary at times, but should only be a last resort, because you're basically rewriting history, which is always a no-no. And it doesn't even seem necessary here...

Sure, the devs may have considered some ancient uber-sith, but they still mentioned the Sith Empire in the game in relation to the true Sith. They also considered having Nihilus' mask being made of Revan's skull at a time. Are we to accept that as fact because it was considered at one point during development, even though Kreia tells the exile to go and find Revan in the end, thereby suggesting he is still alive?

Quote:
Perhaps there is indeed a connection between the two. What I fail to see is how exactly they can be both the same.
There we agree. Or at least, we would if this ancient uber-sith society could be established. Sure, the Sith species had been around for a long time before the dark jedi found them, but there is still no evidence I've ever seen that they were ever some uber-powerful Sith-species empire beyond fanboy speculation. After all, it is not actually stated in the game, is it? I mean, we still haven't found the evidence that proves despite looking for it, have we?

"It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built" - Kreia

Visit my KotOR blog at Deadly Forums.
Jediphile is offline   you may: quote & reply,