View Single Post
Old 10-10-2007, 09:20 PM   #6
John Galt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achilles
I don't think that we're at a point in human history where we can afford to do without such forces. I think the key indicator of our maturity and ability to act responsibility will be how we choose to utilize those forces in the future. My 2 cents.
Of course we need a military, I never said that. I just think that we shouldn't go throwing away American lives every time some two-cred dictator starts spouting empty rhetoric. I think our armed forces need to be redeployed in such a way that they could perform the traditional functions of the peacetime army: keeping the border with Mexico secure and acting as a deterrent to those who would do us harm.

I don't think we can afford to play world police for much longer, given the state of our vital war industries. Springfield Armory has been closed since '68, and Winchester closed last year. The United States Military is still the finest fighting force in the world, but nevertheless we have become something of a paper tiger, so we should stop playing tiger in the first place.

Wer mit Ungeheuern kämpft, mag zusehn, dass er nicht dabei zum Ungeheuer wird. Und wenn du lange in einen Abgrund blickst, blickt der Abgrund auch in dich hinein. -Friedrich Nietzsche, Jenseits von Gut und Böse
John Galt is offline   you may: quote & reply,