View Single Post
Old 10-10-2007, 10:59 PM   #7
Achilles
Dapper Chimp

Helpful! Veteran Modder Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Galt
Of course we need a military, I never said that.
It was not my intention to imply that you did. My apologies. I was focusing primarily on the word "interventionist" when drafting my reply to your post. I hope that helps to provide some additional context for what I wrote.

Quote:
I just think that we shouldn't go throwing away American lives every time some two-cred dictator starts spouting empty rhetoric.
Focusing on "empty rhetoric", I agree. If we are talking about action though, I think someone needs to intervene, although I don't agree that it should be a unilaterial, U.S. military force.

Quote:
I think our armed forces need to be redeployed in such a way that they could perform the traditional functions of the peacetime army: keeping the border with Mexico secure and acting as a deterrent to those who would do us harm.
Are you recommending a draw down of our standing army and an increase in our national guard? I agree.

Quote:
I don't think we can afford to play world police for much longer, given the state of our vital war industries.
Stein's Law: If something cannot go on forever, it will stop.
China will mostly likely be the world's predominant economic superpower in 40 years so I think we can set our countdown for American imperialism according to that.

Quote:
Springfield Armory has been closed since '68, and Winchester closed last year. The United States Military is still the finest fighting force in the world, but nevertheless we have become something of a paper tiger, so we should stop playing tiger in the first place.
Didn't someone in yesterday's Republican Debate point out that we've outsourced many of our military contracts? I know that the lucrative one's stay here, but...
Achilles is offline   you may: quote & reply,