View Single Post
Old 10-11-2007, 12:40 AM   #8
John Galt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achilles
It was not my intention to imply that you did. My apologies. I was focusing primarily on the word "interventionist" when drafting my reply to your post. I hope that helps to provide some additional context for what I wrote.
Sure thing.

Quote:
Focusing on "empty rhetoric", I agree. If we are talking about action though, I think someone needs to intervene, although I don't agree that it should be a unilaterial, U.S. military force.
I don't think it ought to be a United States military force at all, unless the country that is being invaded presents (to quote Schenk v US) a "clear and present danger" to the US.

Quote:
Are you recommending a draw down of our standing army and an increase in our national guard? I agree.
Somewhat. I think a fairly substantial standing army is necessary for the purpose of readiness, and to carry out public works, disaster relief, etc. during peacetime. That being said, I think elements of each state's national guard(or non-incorporated militia) would better suit the peacetime needs of the individual states whilst maintaining an element of readiness. However, interstate peacetime tasks, such as establishing and maintaining the sanctity and security of our borders, would require a national force, which could also serve as the core around which larger wartime armies are built(as per historical precedent).

Quote:
Stein's Law: If something cannot go on forever, it will stop. China will mostly likely be the world's predominant economic superpower in 40 years so I think we can set our countdown for American imperialism according to that.
Why not start now?

Also, I don't think the Chinese state will be able to maintain itself in its current incarnation, depriving its citizens of their inalienable rights. Like most totalitarian states, Red China only prospers because of the sanction free nations composed of free men give it(wow, that came out far more Randist than I meant it to). I think we need to more closely investigate China's human rights abuses and call them out on the world stage, and implement tariffs and taxes on goods produced overseas, especially in nations with nondemocratic governments.

Quote:
Didn't someone in yesterday's Republican Debate point out that we've outsourced many of our military contracts? I know that the lucrative one's stay here, but...
Yes, and that bothers me, even though I am a fan of FN and H&K, I think the weapons systems employed by our armed forces should be designed and produced domestically, for the sake of national security in the event of war or other disaster. We really need to re-establish Springfield Armory as the nation's official R&D, design, and production center for our firearms, thereby internalizing the process of arming our soldiers(and eliminating firearms designed and produced by the lowest bidder), so that more of our servicemen and women come home alive.

Wer mit Ungeheuern kämpft, mag zusehn, dass er nicht dabei zum Ungeheuer wird. Und wenn du lange in einen Abgrund blickst, blickt der Abgrund auch in dich hinein. -Friedrich Nietzsche, Jenseits von Gut und Böse
John Galt is offline   you may: quote & reply,