View Single Post
Old 10-21-2007, 08:14 PM   #51
Samuel Dravis

Quote:
Originally Posted by tk102
That is certainly one good way to escape the God<=>good dilemma and the dualistic nature of good/evil. Instead of a dualism, actions are just various degrees of good. I'm glad you brought that up. I remember the analogy of the goodness of God overflows out from the Him like the water from the fountain and the farther you move from the source, the thirstier you become.

Another way to escape the dilemma is to say that good/evil are two sides of the same coin. Heads=bearded guy in the clouds, Tails=devil with pitchfork. The coin itself is the complete and impersonal Godhead.
Right, that would work too. That would be hard to fit into a Christian worldview, as usually God is not seen remotely like that, but it's definitely possible. I honestly don't know too much about Eastern philosophies or religions, so I don't think I can intelligibly talk on the subject. Perhaps you could explain in a general way how this view works in relation to responsibilities (how to live your life, etc)?

Quote:
Indeed, even if God created each of us to be perfect within ourselves, the world is greater than ourselves. Our interactions with the world and others are outside of our spheres of perfection and thus cannot occur perfectly. "There are no perfect men in this world, only perfect intentions" to quote the Robin Hood movie (). Since God set us into a world of imperfect interactions, sin is inevitable.
Right, that probably would be an accurate representation of it. Still, if we accepted the idea of Aquinas about intentions being the determiner of sin, then while evil may occur, sin is an option, not an inevitability.

Quote:
Of course if evil has no in-and-of-itself existence, then the fear of hellfire can't be used as a driving force for being obedient to God.
I agree... but wanting something can be quite the powerful force as well.

Quote:
Likewise, if evil and good are part of the same thing, then the fear of hell vanishes as does the reward of heaven. Instead the best you hope for is dissolution of the finite and return to the infinite.
Your vile pagan ways are REPREHENSIBLE TK!

"Words are deeds." - Wittgenstein
Samuel Dravis is offline   you may: