View Single Post
Old 10-22-2007, 12:49 PM   #65
Samuel Dravis

Quote:
Originally Posted by tk102
These concepts aren't completely unique to Eastern philosophies but indeed you are right -- they do not fit well with traditional Christian teachings. Meister Eckhart of Germany was charged with heresy in 1326 for proclaiming this exactly this type of Christian mysticism.
That was quite interesting, thanks for the link TK. I confess I am unaware of most heresies; my concentration up to now has been figuring out if even the most popular religions make sense.

Quote:
The biggest thing this view provides for me is perspective. Whether in terms of human relations, quantum mechanics, or chaos theory -- the sense that all things are changing but the internal nature within everything is not.

That's an good way to look at it, TK... if nothing's happening then why get upset about it? Got any books on the subject that you liked in particular? I'd be interested in reading them if so.

Ray, here's a quote I shamelessly stole from Wiki, which shamelessly stole it from C.S. Lewis' The Problem Of Pain. He talks about God's omnipotence:

His Omnipotence means power to do all that is intrinsically possible, not to do the intrinsically impossible. You may attribute miracles to Him, but not nonsense. This is no limit to His power. If you choose to say 'God can give a creature free will and at the same time withhold free will from it,' you have not succeeded in saying anything about God: meaningless combinations of words do not suddenly acquire meaning simply because we prefix to them the two other words 'God can.'... It is no more possible for God than for the weakest of His creatures to carry out both of two mutually exclusive alternatives; not because His power meets an obstacle, but because nonsense remains nonsense even when we talk it about God.

I do recommend the book if you're wanting to get a better explanation of why God would allow evil.

"Words are deeds." - Wittgenstein

Last edited by Samuel Dravis; 10-22-2007 at 01:05 PM.
Samuel Dravis is offline   you may: