View Single Post
Old 10-26-2007, 12:03 AM   #3
Jvstice

Quote:
Does the way we treat sex and our women, homo and heterosexual, effect how we interact socially with each other?
Let me separate those out.

1. Does the way we treat sex effect how we interact socially with each other?
yes, of course.

2. Does the way we treat our women, homo and heterosexual effect how we interact with each other?
yes again, but I think for different reasons than the former

The first question has to do with taking one's frustrations or other issues with how one's own life has turned out on others. It's an issue of emotional well-being and how it effects ones treatment of others.

The second question is more a matter of how people treat people that they see as different and/or socially inferior in a lot of cases. It's pretty human to percieve a difference then treat any group not like yourself as subhuman in some way.

One's got an emotional root, the other one a moral or mental/intellectual one. They do relate to one another, but are separate issues.

Quote:
If we stopped hiding sex, homosexual or heterosexual, and let it be a common thing in our society... would things be better? Would we make love, not war... or are we forever trapped by human nature to forever kill each other in our own ignorance and hate? Would we breed out of control... or like the Bonobo, have sex for fun and bonding? If human women had casual sex with each other instead of trying to rip each other’s throats out... would they have a higher social status like the Bonobo? Would they create sisterhoods instead of horrible clichés that name some women as horrible, and others perfect? Would the same apply to men?
I think you over-simplify the issues a bit, but I think you are correct as far as you go with the idea that more honesty and openness would cause more people to be true to themselves, stop pretending to be something they may not be, and in some cases not hating others based on those differences that they can't understand.

Fight or flight is a powerful reaction, and the energy has to go somewhere. The bonobos have found a way of rechanneling those energies away from their interpersonal and political interactions, and it does seem like a remarkable achievement that they manage to divert their energy as go almost entirely get rid of all violence in their society.

There are trade offs though. I'm sure we'd have a much more rapid spread of virulent and endemic STD's for starters. Also, the population would shoot way up, and we can't feed the people we have on earth currently.

Likewise, I'm not entirely convinced that humans can "become like the bonobos" any more than we can "become like the chimpanzees." Perhaps a shift one way or the other to some degree is possible.

Last edited by Jvstice; 10-26-2007 at 12:17 AM.
Jvstice is offline   you may: quote & reply,