View Single Post
Old 11-03-2007, 06:19 PM   #117
Jediphile
Persona non grata

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeiamyourdad
I mentioned this problem several times regarding to a KotOR 3 MMORPG. In this sense, you are 100% correct. However, if the game was set in the Mandalorian Wars or before, there is nothing that stops the number of Jedi from being really high. Galaxies could not possibly have so many Jedi without killing the setting. The KotOR universe on the other hand, can.
Except...

1. The setting is fixed. You cannot be a jedi fighting in the war without being exiled by the jedi order, nor can you play a major character, since the leaders are Revan and Malak.

2. All players will still be only jedi, and so that problem persists.

3. The plot itself is fixed and cannot deviate from the historic events as established by the KotOR games or comic books, making for a setting where nothing any player does can alter or evolve the setting (= boring). This means no room for plot development or growth of character. You can grow the stats and nothing more (also = boring).

4. Your character can have no future, since we already know virtually any and all jedi and sith are dead within a decade or so.

Quote:
Twisted logic. In MMOs, you do not start as former super-powerful beings. You're just an above average adventurer. The background story is adapted and up to every single player to choose.
Which is precisely why the alleged strength of KotOR as written by Bioware that 1up points to cannot take place in an MMORPG, since you cannot have such backgrounds for the playable characters. Actually more like really simple logic. Perhaps even very simple conclusions.

Quote:
Of course you can't do the same. That's because they're not the same. You cannot apply SPRPG logic to an MMORPG.
My point exactly. That's why 1up's take on the situation is questionable.

Quote:
Yes, writing can be stronger then SOE's, the morons did recycle HK-47 remember? Not very original.
It might be stronger, but as you say yourself, you cannot apply SPRPG to an MMORPG. Consequently, the plot cannot be as deep.

Quote:
Bioware can also use better gameplay mechanics adapted from the post-WoW world, meaning more content, polish and lesser grinding.
Which all means nothing to me. KotOR games are good for the depth of the plots. They are like interactive novels, where you can affect bits and pieces, but not the larger picture. This means less freedom to play, but also potential for stronger plots with deeper and more complex characters. You cannot have that in an MMORPG, where total freedom to explore is essential.

Quote:
Bull. Make everyone a Jedi or Force user and put them into a timeline that where that would make sense. The problem has been solved.
Actually, "killed" would be the appropriate term. You're basically "solving" the problem by "removing" all non-jedi from the setting...

Since that has a certain "master race"-sort of quality to it, you'll forgive me if I do not find the idea particularly compelling or palatable... In fact, I might use the same term you did in reference to that suggestion

Quote:
Really, an Indiana Jones RPG? But an MMO is unlikely?
Perhaps. But it's still better than a KotOR MMORPG.

"It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built" - Kreia

Visit my KotOR blog at Deadly Forums.
Jediphile is offline   you may: quote & reply,